Seppangilangu Roast Recipe is the everyday cooking, a great pair for rice. Basically, this Taro root is so gooey, and I also need to agree that it need lots of oil to overcome its stickiness. But it is really worth its taste, a great pair for rice. I remember those days when my mom prepares this roast, We would finish of these, by picking each one out of the pan. I can shout loud that the crunchy masala is the tastiest in the entire world.
Basically, this Taro root is so gooey, and I also need to agree that it need lots of oil to overcome its stickiness. But it is really worth its taste. Here, we are not getting the exact gooey ‘seppangilangu’ but this verity also tastes good. This crunchy roast goes very well with any mild rice recipes, like sambar, lemon rice etc., Today, I have gone with Lemon Rice. I think all the south Indian will agree that this combo will be working out.
Arbi / Taro root / Seppangilangu Roast / Fry Recipe
Prep time : 5 min,
Cooking time : 15 min,
Yield : Serves 4
Seppangilangu / Arbi / Taro root – 500g
Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil – 4-6 tbsp
Ingredients For Grinding:
Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic – 2 Cloves
Curry Leaves – 1 stalk
How to make Seppangilangu Roast:
1. Grind all the ingredients from the above table in the mixer / blender.
2. Cook ‘sepangilangu’ in the pressure cooker for 3-4 min. The peel out the skin.
3. Cut them into small cubes.
4. In a pan add oil, fennel seeds and followed by this seppangilangu / arbi.
5. Add salt and chili powder and cook it on medium- high flame.
6. Once chili powder cooked and blended well and it is almost fried, add the ground paste.
7. Fry it in slow flame, till entire mixture become crunchy and crispy.
8. Serve Seppangilangu Roast hot with Sambar Rice, Lemon Rice etc.
Serve as a side dish for South Indian meals.
Tips and Variations for Seppangilangu Roast:
1. Beginners can cook sepangilangu in the pan rather than a cooker. As it will become stickier, when it is over cooked.
2. Cast iron pan will be more helpful in achieving desired crispiness.
Check out other side dishes for rice such as Pachai Mochai Masala Fry.