Searching for Kiddos friendly recipes? Crispy stuffed Bhindi can be your best choice. As it is healthy and can also be overwhelmed by an adult who accompanies children. Every bite does magic, with the crispy outside, also could really feel real okra’s seeds combined with flavored stuffing.
We call these green long, tender veggie as ‘Ladies Finger’. Maybe for its looks, which resembling like an elegant women’s finger. Have a look at the okra below, no wonder why they call it as ‘Ladies Finger’. Apart from its external appearance, the veggie by itself looks adorable inside as well, with small sections where seeds are stacked perfectly. I have a very close bondage with this vegetable from my childhood.
This recipe is perfect for fussy children, who always have an excuse for eating green vegetables. Rather than compelling them to eat the regular recipes, introduce vegetables in different flavors and taste. Which in turn makes them interesting to experiment with newer dishes.
Crispy Stuffed Bhindi, kiddos friendly appetizer
Prep time : 10 min
Cooking time : 20 min
Yield : Serves 2
Okra/Ladies Finger/ Bindi – 300 grams
Besan/ Chickpea Flour – 1 Cup
Amchur Power / Mango Powder – 2-3 tbsp
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder -1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp or as required
Cooking oil for deep frying
How to Make stuffed bhindi :
1. In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 a cup of besan flour(remaining 1/2 cup of flour, we need it later), amchur powder, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt.
2. Sprinkle little water at a time to make the thick paste. Make thicker, pliable paste as much as possible.
3. Wash and clean ladies finger, remove the head and using sharp knife make a long slit, leaving little space on top and bottom.
4. Stuff carefully the prepared masala onto each okra. Stuffing has to be gently done so that it does not break on the sides. Repeat the same for all the remaining veggie and keep them ready for frying.
Hint: It should not be loose as it may ooze out while frying. Very thicker paste makes it difficult for stuffing. The perfect consistency? try to roll a small ball in between your palm and finger. IF you could make it, success..proceed to the next step.
5. In the same mixing bowl, add remaining flour, along with chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt.
6. Add water to the flour to make the thicker batter, this has been thick flowing consistency. Which should make a thicker coating to the veggie while frying?
Hint: Idli batter consistency makes it perfect.
7. Dip each okra into the batter, and deep fry it in the medium flame. Flip occasionally to make them get cooked evenly. Remove it from fire once they turned crispy and golden brown. Transfer to the paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve stuffed bhindi immediately.
Also, check another recipe of Children’s favorite Cauliflower Golden Fry.
Serving Suggestions Crispy Stuffed Bindi:
1. Serve along with Rice or roti.
2. Serve as an appetizer or snack pairing with tomato ketchup, green chutney or hot sauce.
Tips and Variations stuffed bhindi:
1. Reduce amchur powder lesser if you are serving with tea.
2. The same stuffing masala can be used to make other stuffed vegetables like eggplant, potato.
Tips For Cooking in Non-Indian Kitchen:
1. Try adding few drops of lemon juice to substitute Amchur(Mango) Powder.
2. Chili powder can be substituted with Paprika powder.