Homemade soft pretzel recipe is the easy recipe that can be made without many efforts. No more waiting hours in the long queues in Pretzel joints in the Shopping Malls. We can make them at home with the same flavor, taste and more economically. These are very popular and a little salty snack.
My son always pulls me back whenever he crosses pretzel joints in Shopping Malls. This is one of his favorite snacks, he finishes off his portions very fast and asks for more, but hesitating to wait in the long queue, we drag him off from this floor. I always go with king Arthur’s blog for bread recipes, as it always comes with little secret for baking results. Here in this soft pretzel recipe too, it has a secret for getting the golden brown crust. We would see that in the procedures.
Easy homemade soft pretzel recipe like malls
Prep time : 10 min,
Cooking time : 10 min,
Yield : Serves 4
Ingredients for homemade soft pretzel recipe:
2 Cups of Bread flour / All Purpose flour
1 envelope of Instant yeast
1 tsp of Salt
2 tsp of Sugar
1 tbsp of Butter
1 Cup(warm water) of Water
For Dipping Solution:
Water – 2 Cups
Baking Soda – 4 tbsp
How to make:
1. The recipe asked for all-purpose flour, and I always goes with Bread flour. This makes us not to go wrong anywhere. I have also gone with my leftover instant pizza crust yeast. But any other yeast would work fine. But always rely on the manufacturer’s procedure for making the dough. This yeast does not require resting time.
2. Mix salt, sugar and blend it with a blender.
3. Then add 1 cup of flour and whisk it again to form a smooth paste. Then add remaining flour and water alternatively, little by little. Here I did add the remaining flour and water alternatively for about three times.
4. Make a smooth dough knead it very well, which is the most important part. You can knead it in the machine, and if you are kneading it by hands, make sure you knead it for at least 5 min.
5. Divide it into small balls, I made 16 balls out of this flour.
6. Make a portion of the dough into a long and thin about 10-12 inch.
7. Twist the dough rope and make a knot as illustrated in this image.
8. Turn the knot upside and make sure the knot is inside the top circle.
9. Convert the dough into this shape and leave it aside.
10. Take a big bowl adds 2 cups of water and bring it to boil and switch off the stove and immediately add 4 tbsp of baking soda. Need to careful here, as this solution tends to overflow. And bring it to the room temperature.
11. By the time, the knotted dough might have raised a little. Add these in the cooled baking soda solution and soak it for not more than 2 min. This is the secret for getting the golden brown color evenly like the ones which are available in your nearby shopping malls.
12. Remove it and arrange it in the tray sprayed with oil or in the parchment papered tray. Leave it for another 10 min, the solution will get absorbed by the dough. Sprinkle little kosher salt, pretzel salt if needed. Here I did not add anything.
13. Bake it in the preheated oven at 475 degrees for 10 min. I did it exactly for 10 min, but it may change from oven to oven, so please keep an eye on the oven, as these pretzels may tend to go on either side if care was not given.
Just open the oven, you will definitely say “Wow” by looking at the evenly golden pretzels. Brush the pretzels with little butter. Serving with ‘Garlic butter’ will sure receive more “Wow”s from others too..Your whole home will be echoed with “Wows” for sure.
Tips and Variations for homemade soft pretzel recipe:
1. Soaking in the baking powder solution is just to get the golden brown color, without this step also been done.
2. Any yeast can do its job, but make sure you follow the manufacturer’s procedure.Do not forget to look into other interesting recipes like, Oven Baked Tortilla Chip Recipe.