Kondakadalai Thakali Chutney healthy side dish for breakfast. A South Indian recipe but can be made in all kitchens.
It has been always a tougher task to choose the side dish. If you are in this phase, here is the recipe for the protein-rich side dish for your everyday food. Selecting of Main course recipe, of course not very complicated when compared to selecting the side dish recipe. The common main course South Indian breakfast would be Idli, but serving with unique and varies side dishes makes enhances it to the next level.
Got bored with serving coconut, coriander, mint, onion chutney every day? searching for something unique but healthy to start your day? This recipe of kondaikadalai Tomato chutney could pull you from drowning into guilty consciousness. If you are following this blog for quite some time, you might know that I have a teen son. He requires lots of protein as it is growing phase. The bland cooked bowl of chenna possibly bounces back to me. So, serving with different names in different taste….hmm.hhmm..no complaints, and only lots of appreciations and empty bowls.
This recipe is very easy to make in the busy morning schedules. To make the work easier, soak and cook the dal prior to that day. I cook them a lot and store it in the freezer, and use them when required. This process makes many of recipes easy. Like, add some chopped veggies, serve them as the salad. Add them to your regular side dish, or add them to any kuzlambu.
In this recipe, the onion should be slightly cooked. It should not be get burnt off over cooked. The perfect Chenna Tomato Chutney should have visible chopped onion and tomatoes. Every bite should have the texture of onion and tomato.
Kondakadalai Thakali Chutney-Chenna Tomato Side Dish
Prep time : 5 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Yield : Serves 2
Kondakadalai/Chenna Dal – 1 Cup
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Green Chilies – 4-5(depending on your taste)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 stalk
Salt to taste
Cooking oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
How to make:
1. In a pan add cooking oil followed by mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds. Wait till the mustard splutters, the add curry leaves, saute for a second. Add chopped onions, in the slow-medium flame, saute them till it turns pink. Add chopped tomatoes, saute them gently, so that it gets half cooked and not mushy.
2. Add a cup of water, followed by turmeric powder, green chilies, and salt.
3. Add cooked chenna dal and allow it to cook in medium flame. Once the onion and tomatoes get cooked completely, Remove from the fire.
4. Transfer them to the serving bowl. And serve Thakali Chutney hot with Idlis, dosas, appams, Idiyappams. etc.,
Serve hot along with South Indian Breakfast food dishes.
Tips and Variations for this Thakali Chutney:
1. This chutney can be made without the addition of Chenna Dal too.
2. Green chili is the only ingredient for the heat in this recipe, so add it according to your taste.