This Mango Ginger Pickle is a simple and easy pickle recipe. Mango Ginger also called as Maa inji in Tamil. Whenever needed, toss in some pickle powder, season it..that’s it, you all set to go this zingy dish.
If you are coming across the name Mango ginger for the first time, you might have astonished by its relevancy. The connection between mango and ginger? this is a root vegetable, resembles ginger in shape and has a flavor of mango. It perfectly mingles with lemon and garlic, to transform into an exotic pickle.
Maa Inji is very rarely visible to my eyes here in our stores. So while returning back from India, huge bags of maa inji was also traveling with me. My mom did all the painful work of peeling and chopping this root. Added lemon juice and salt. Afraid of adding garlic, as it may pull the security officers in the luggage section. So I added chopped garlic, once I reached here and stored it in the refrigerator.
I take them out in batches and make pickles, which can last longer up to 10 days in the room temperature. This way I can stock longer.
Mango Ginger Pickle- Maa Inji
Prep time : 30 min,
Yield : 1 Cup
Mango Ginger / Maa Inji – 250 g
Garlic – 1/4 Cup
Lemon – 6-8
Salt – 4 tbsp or as required
Gingelly Oil – 1/4 Cup
Mustard – 2 tsp
Pickle Powder – as required
How to make:
1. Peel the skin of mango ginger, and chop them finely. Add lemon juice, chopped garlic and salt. Keep aside for a day by stirring them occasionally. The next day transfer them to an air tight container and store in the refrigerator. Whenever needed taken them out in batches for making pickles.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
3. Add a batch of mango ginger along with proportioned lemon juice.
4. Add pickle powder and saute for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer again to the air tight container. If you feel, you need the more sour taste, then add vinegar or lemon juice.
Store them in a narrow-mouthed jar. Serve along with rice. Serving with sambar rice would be the best option.
Tips and Variations:
1. Small bite size pieces of lemon can also be added while processing the mango ginger.
2. Add green chilies for a flavorful variation.
3. Avoid garlic, if you do not prefer them.