It is the spring time here, and our grocery stores are loaded with plenty of greens at cheaper rates. Obviously my hands dropped few more bunches into the basket. In the same week back to back, I cannot make methi kootu, methi poriayl for my fussy eaters. I have a formula like, more ingredient at home=new recipe from the kitchen. These are the simple factors behind today’s Methi Biryani. Needless to say here, that it was appreciated by everyone like one I have with Soya Chunk Biryani. And asked me to fetch more green bunches from the store next time.
All the secret of this Methi Biryani, is to get basmati rice gets cooked perfectly and the amount of the leaves. For getting perfectly cooked rice, soak the rice for 20 minutes, rinse gently with the running water. Bring water to boil. Add the rice, cook it in high flame for 7 minutes or until the grains doubled it size and with 15% of water remaining. Now close the lid and cook it in simmer flame for 10-12 minutes. I like the grains to be firmer. If you wish to have softer rice grains, allow it 2 minutes more in the simmer flame.
Methi Biryani / Fenugreek Leaves Rice Recipe
Cooking time : 30 min,
Yeild : Serves 2
Author : Pepper Bowl
1 Cup of Methi Leaves
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1 Medium sized Onion
1 tsp of Ginger and Garlic Paste
½ Cup of Curd
1 tsp of Chili Powder
1 tsp of Coriander Powder
1 tsp of Garam masala
2 tbsp of Butter
4 tbsp of Cooking Oil
1″ long Cinnamon
1½ tsp of Salt or as required
How to make:
1. Heat butter and cooking oil in the pan, when butter melts add cinnamon, cloves cardamom, When it turns golden brown, add chopped onion and continue to saute till it turns soft. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and stir until the tomatoes are mushy.
2. Discard the stems and wash and clean methi leaves. Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes and rinse it the water gently, strain and keep aside. Chopping the methi leaves is not necessary, as the leaves itself are very small in size.
3. Add methi leaves and continue to cook until the methi leaves slightly blends with the mixture. Add chili powder, Coriander Powder, Garam masala for a minute.
4. Add curd and saute gently, take care of the methi leaves(It should not turn mushy).
5. Add 2 cups of water, salt and lemon juice, bring it to boil. Adjust the salt and the sourness here. Add the kept aside rice and allow it to cook on the higher flame until the grains doubled it size and with 15% of remaining water. Close the lid and turn the flame to simmer. Continue to cook for 12-15 minutes.
6. Remove it from the fire and enjoy Methi Biryani with Cucumber Raitha.
Serve along with onion, cucumber raitha. Masala fried potatoes would suit best with this biryani.
Tips and Variations:
Strick to the quantity of methi leaves, as amount could lead for bitter taste.
If you wish to add little more sourness to the dish, then add lemon juice.
Do not forget to look into other easy recipes like Capsicum Rice.