Power packed paruppu urundai kuzhambu is the best way to add protein to our diet in a vegan way. This recipe is very rich and flavorful. The left over kuzhambu is the best unbeatable side for Idlies, Dosais, Rotis.
Whenever we opt for a heavy yet healthy food, this kuzhambu will be in the first of the list. We always prepare this more for the lunch, which minimizes our the work for the dinner. These lentil balls would also serve as a side dish for the rice. If not serve with everyday simple preparations like Beans Poriyal, Vegetable Avial, Kovaikkai Fry.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu / Lentil Balls in Coconut Gravy
Prep time : 25 min,
Cooking time : 20 min,
Yield : Serves 4
1 tbsp ofGinger Garlic paste
1″ of Cinnamon
1 Bay leaves
For Lentil Balls:
1 Cup of Bengal Gram
1 tsp of Fennel Seeds
1 Red chili
2 tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 stalk of Chopped Curry leaves
2 stalks of Chopped Coriander leaves
3 tbsp of Grated Coconut
1 tsp of Fennel Seeds
1 Green chili
1 tsp of Poppy seeds
How to make:
1. Grind coconut, poppy seeds, fennel seeds and green chili in the mixer and keep aside.
2. For the lentil balls, Grind soaked Bengal gram dal, red chili, fennel seeds and a little salt.
3. Remove this mixer from the mixie, add chopped garlic, curry leaves, and coriander leaves. Do not add any water for grinding. Finely chopped onions can also be added to this mixer. Make medium size balls.
4. Heat oil in the pan, add cinnamon, bay leaves, and cloves. Here you can add little ghee, to have much more richer kuzhambu.
5. Then add chopped onion and fry them till it becomes tender, now it is the time to add ginger, garlic paste and saute for 1 min and add chopped tomato. In the medium to simmer flame, saute for another 2 min.
6. Add 2-3 Cups of water, make it little more watery than usual kuzhambu, as it gets absorbed by the lentil balls. Let it cooked for 5 min or until it leaves raw masala flavor.
7. Then add ground coconut and the lentil balls which we made in the earlier steps. And allow it to boil for another 5-7 min in medium flame. Serve Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu with rice.
Tips and Variations:
1. Test lentil balls by dropping the first ball on the boiling kuzhambu, if it starts getting separated, then add little gram flour to it.
2. Do not crowd the pan, leave space between the balls while dropping and also while cooking.
3. Make the kuzhambu little watery, as it tends to become thicker when cooled.Liked this Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu?
Are you thinking about next day’s menu, try this Capsicum Kuzhambu.