Semiya Upma Recipe is a breakfast of South Indians. I can call it as the Indian version of Noodles or Indian version of Spaghetti. In South Indian cuisine, we mainly use this for making ‘payasam’ (pudding). Making Upma, is another form of using it, I can say this as savory pudding . This is the basic recipe, we can do many variations with different vegetables and with different flavors.
This Vermicelli upma is a great substitute if you bored with your regular granola bars, cereals or any other regular breakfast. It can prepare in minutes and is very light too.
Semiya Upma Recipe / Vermicelli Upma Recipe
Prep time : 5 min,
Cooking time : 7 min,
Yield : Serves 2
Ingredients for Semiya Upma Recipe:
Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 Cup
Water – 1 1/4th Cup
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Black Gram – 1 tsp
Onion – 1/2
Green Chili – 1
Red Chili – 1
Curry Leaves – 1 stalk
How to make:
1. Chop Onion, slit green chilies, wash curry leaves.
2. Roast Vermicelli in 1 tsp of oil till it becomes golden brown on all the sides and keep aside.
3. In a pan add oil, mustard, black gram, red chili and wait till mustard get splutter.
4. Then add onion, green chili, and curry leaves and fry them till onion becomes pink and soft, in medium flame.
5. Then add 1 1/4 Cup water and bring it to the boil. Now add roasted vermicelli, Salt and cook it in medium to slow flame till the water gets evaporated.
6. Then cook it for another 2-3 min in low flame till the vermicelli cooked completely and not sticky anymore.
7. Transfer it to the serving bowl and serve Semiya Upma hot with pickles or chutneys.
Tips and Variations for Semiya Upma Recipe:
1. Roasting the Vermicelli makes non-stickier and firmer.
2. Add green peas or grated carrot for a variation.Searching for other breakfast recipes? do check this Lemon Semiya.