This potato spinach curry recipe is an ideal dish for the kids who are struggling to eat green leafy vegetables. It is pretty easy and simple to prepare.
A fresh bunch of spinach in my refrigerator tempting me to make this Indian style green curry for today's dinner.
My son loved this potato spinach curry and he had my share too, so this goes as proof of its tastiness. This delicious dish is perfect for the kids who are struggling to eat green leafy vegetables.
You may also see other side dishes for roti like Malai Kofta, Mutter paneer, Bindi Masala, Moong Vadi Curry. Serving roti with verities of side dishes makes everyone enjoy.
If you are searching for other recipes, you may also like Vegetable kurma, Rajma masala.
Potato spinach curry is also called as 'Aloo palak' in Hindi. This is one of the favorite everyday recipes of North India. One of the delicious curry recipes that are best to serve with rice and Indian bread like roti or naan.
How do this tastes like?
This is a creamy, mild, flavorful dish that is made to pair up with roti or chapati. If you feel that Indian food is very spicy, then you should give this dish a try. Moreover, you will change your view of Indian food for sure.
Why you should make potato spinach curry?
- A delicious way to include fresh spinach into your diet, which is one of the most neglected ingredients in many homes.
- The method of making and the process involved in preparing for the recipe is straightforward and easy. Furthermore, even beginners can make with excellent results.
- The gravy is super silky and smooth that you will not realize that you are eating spinach.
- This Aloo palak recipe is super nutritious that makes you feel like comfort food.
You make-ahead most of the preparatory work, which will reduce half of your work burden while cooking.
- You may freeze or refrigerate the leftover.
- Bring home the restaurant-style side dish in the comfort of your home.
- You substitute half of the number of spinach leaves with green mustard leaves in this recipe for aloo palak. We make this variation many times, and this tastes delicious as well.
- You may also use methi leaves/fresh fenugreek leaves instead of spinach in this potato spinach curry. Or you may also use both together.
- When you prefer to enhance the dish with more vegetables, add, cauliflower, carrot, sweet potato.
- Swap potato with Indian cottage cheese, paneer, and this option turns into a whole new dish, palak paneer.
- Adding fresh cream is to achieve the restaurant-style creamy texture. If you prefer to stay out of fat, then you may skip using it.
- Instead of fresh cream, you may use a blob of butter, say about half a tablespoon is good enough for this quantity we have mentioned here.
- Potatoes can also be substituted with mushrooms, cauliflower in this recipe.
Can I make this as a dry version?
Yes, you can make dry potato spinach curry. But with the slight variation in the cooking process. The ingredients required to make the dry version remain the same as the gravy version. Add less water for cooking, and allow it to cook further in the open pan until the curry thickens.
How to make potato spinach curry?
Preparing the vegetables. Wash and clean spinach a couple of times. I use to rinse spinach leaves for one time, even if I got a prewashed spinach package. Rinsing prewashed green is always debatable, but I wash them as I obsessed with it.
Wash and clean potatoes and peel the skin. Cut into bite-size pieces.
Cooking. You may use an Instant pot, pressure cooker, or stovetop method.
Instant Pot-When using Instant pot, for seasoning and sauteing, set the Instant pot to saute mode. Moreover, for cooking, set the cooking time manually for 7 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Pressure cooker. When using the pressure cooker, season and saute directly in the pressure cooker pan without the lid. Moreover, pressure cook for 2 whistles in high flames and two whistles in the low flame. Open the cover, once the steam is released naturally.
Stovetop method. Use a pan for the sauteing, and cook with the lids on. This makes cooking quick and faster.
Making the gravy. Separate the potato with the ladle. Transfer it to a plate and set aside. Using an immersion hand blender or mixer grinder, grind the cooked spinach mixture to a silky texture.
Combine and garnish. Now in the same pan, add the spinach gravy and potato. Adjust the consistency with water, and also adjust the salt. Drizzle a tablespoon of fresh cream and serve immediately.
Printable recipe card
Potato spinach curry
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 cardamom
For the gravy
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste grated
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 potatoes medium size
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream
- Over medium heat, in the pressure cooker pan, add vegetable oil, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
- Let it cook for 1 minute or until it changes the color to a golden brown.
For the gravy
- Add onion and saute till it becomes soft.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste, saute until it is fragrant.
- Then add red chili powder, corinader powder, turmeric powder, and Garam masala.
- Saute for a minute without burning the spice powders.
- Add chopped tomato and saute until it becomes mushy.
- Then toss spinach, cubed potatoes, and water.
- Close the lid and seal the vent.
- Cook for 5 minutes. And wait for 10 minutes until the pressure releases naturally.
- Once it's done, open the lid and remove the potatoes using a slotted spoon. And set aside the potatoes.
- Transfer the remaining cooked spinach mixer to a blender jar. And grind it to a smooth and silky texture.
- In the same pan, over medium heat add butter, ground spinach, and the boiled potatoes.
- Bring it to boil for 5 minutes or until the gravy thickens to a thick flowing consistency.
- Garnish with fresh cream. And serve with rice or roti.
Do not forget to check out another side dish recipe for roti/chapathi here, try Gobi Manchurian, here in PepperBowl.
1. Serve potato spinach curry along with roti/chapati or as a side dish for mixed rice.
2. Adding fresh cream gives richer and restaurant like the taste.
3. Serving with the cup of curd makes perfect dinner or lunch.
Do not miss the latest recipes and its tips, Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Leave a Reply