This Aloo Palak Recipe is an ideal dish for the kids who are struggling to eat green leafy vegetables. It is pretty easy, simple and healthy to prepare.
Fresh palak in my refrigerator tempting me to make this Potato Spinach dish for today’s dinner. It is pretty easy, simple and healthy to prepare. My son loved this and he had my share too, so this goes as proof of its tastiness. This Aloo Palak Recipe is an ideal dish for the kids who are struggling to eat green leafy vegetables.
What is Aloo Palak?
Potato spinach curry is ‘Aloo palak’ in Hindi. This is one of the favorite everyday recipes of North India. Very healthy nutritious side dish served with Indian bread like roti, chapati, paratha, or naan.
How do this tastes like?
This is a creamy, mild, flavorful dish that is made to pair up with roti or chapati. If you feel that Indian food is very spicy, then you should give this dish a try. Moreover, you will change your view of Indian food for sure.
Few things that make aloo palak recipe as your favorite
- A delicious way to include fresh spinach into your diet, which is one of the most neglected ingredients in many homes.
- The method of making and the process involved in preparing for the recipe is straightforward and easy. Furthermore, even beginners can make with excellent results.
- The gravy is super silky and smooth that you will not realize that you are eating spinach.
- Aloo Palak recipe is super nutritious that makes you feel like comfort food.
You make ahead most of the preparatory work, that will reduce half of your work burden while cooking.
- You may freeze or refrigerate the leftover.
- Bring home the restaurant-style side dish in the comfort of your home.
Variations for Indian Potato Spinach Curry
- You substitute half of the number of spinach leaves with green mustard leaves in this recipe for aloo palak. We make this variation many times, and this tastes delicious as well.
- You may also use methi leaves/fresh fenugreek leaves instead of spinach. Or you may also use both together.
- When you prefer to enhance the dish with more vegetables, add, cauliflower, carrot, sweet potato.
- Swap potato with Indian cottage cheese, paneer, and this option turns into a whole new dish, palak paneer.
- Adding fresh cream is to achieve the restaurant style creamy texture. If you prefer to stay out of fat, then you may skip using.
- Instead of fresh cream, you may use a blob of butter, say about half a tablespoon is good enough for this quantity we have mentioned here.
- Potatoes can also be substituted with mushrooms, cauliflower in this recipe.
Can I make this Aloo Palak Dry?
Yes, you can make. But with the slight variation in the cooking process. The ingredients required to make dry version remains the same as the gravy version. Add less water for cooking, and allow it to cook further in the open pan until the curry thickens.
How to make Aloo Palak
Preparing the vegetables-Wash and clean spinach a couple of times. I use to rinse spinach leaves for one time, even if I got prewashed spinach package. Rinsing prewashed green is always debatable, but I wash them as I obsessed with it.
Wash and clean potatoes and peel the skin. Cut into bite size pieces.
Cooking-You may use Instant pot, pressure cooker, or stovetop method.
Instant Pot-When using Instant pot, for seasoning and sauteing, set the Instant pot to saute mode. Moreover, for cooking, set the cooking time manually for 7 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Pressure cooker-When using the pressure cooker, season and saute directly in the pressure cooker pan without the lid. Moreover, pressure cook for 2 whistles in high flames and two whistles in the low flame. Open the cover, once the steam is released naturally.
Stovetop method-Use a pan for the sauteing, and cook with the lids on. This makes cooking quick and faster.
Making the gravy– Separate the potato with the ladle. Transfer it to a plate and set aside. Using an immersion hand blender or mixer grinder, grind the cooked spinach mixture to a silky texture.
Combine and garnish– Now in the same pan, add the spinach gravy and potato. Adjust the consistency with water, and also adjust the salt. Drizzle a tablespoon of fresh cream and serve immediately.
Aloo Palak Recipe
- 2 cup Spinach
- 3 Potatoes Medium Size
- 1 Onion Medium size
- 1 Tomato Medium Size
- 1 tbsp Ginger Grated
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Wash and clean potatoes, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, spinach.
- In the pressure cooker with 3 tbsp of oil add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom till it leaves flavor Followed by onion, ginger, garlic, and then tomato.
- Once the oil slightly separated from the mixer, add chili powder, Kitchen King masala powder and salt.
- Immediately add spinach and cubed potatoes with the half cup of water.
- Close the lid and allow it to cook for 4-5 min and wait till steam releases from the cooker.
- Once it's done, remove the potatoes from the mixer.
- Blend the remaining mixer with the hand blender or even with the wooden ladle. Then add cooked potatoes to this gravy and YES!!! it is ready to serve.
- Garnish with fresh cream(optional). Serve Aloo Palak Recipe with hot Rotis, Naan, Pulao..
Do not forget to check out another side dish recipe for roti/chapathi here, try Dal Tadka, here in PepperBowl.
1. Serve it along with roti/chapati or as a side dish for mixed rice.
2. Adding fresh cream gives richer and restaurant like the taste.
3. Serving with the cup of curd makes perfect dinner or lunch.