This Spicy Szechuan chicken is hot and delicious and impresses everyone with its awesome flavor and taste. If you heavily rely on takeouts for Asian food, this is an easy recipe to start making your favorites in the convenience of your kitchen.
Additionally, this authentic Szechuan chicken recipe is easy to make under 20 minutes even it is made from scratch. Added to this, the ingredients are easily available in most stores here in the United States. Perfect to eat with rice, noodles, or soup.
A fast and super easy recipe excellent for quick dinners. This recipe is a blessing for family dinner or a large gathering with the restaurant-style Asian dinner. To me, I would say this spicy Szechuan chicken, is the one homemade solution for spicy cravings.
As I have already discussed, this recipe does not take much time to prepare and cook. All that required is you should have the ingredients handy and ready.
What is Szechuan chicken?
This spicy chicken recipe belongs to the popular Chinese cuisine called Szechuan which is known for its spiciness. However, It also called us Sichuan or Schezwan in the other parts of the world.
The authentic recipe is super fiery and calls unique Chinese ingredients like mirin and Szechuan peppercorns, which is not accessible for many of here. Hence, this recipe is an attempt to subtle the spiciness to suit North American palates and customize the ingredients by preserving the original taste.
We love these Schezuan recipes because of their right combination of Chinese sauces. You can find them easily on the international aisles in the stores.
How does this taste like?
This spicy Szechuan chicken tastes hot and spicy that hits the mouth, but delightful that we keep asking for more. It can take a prominent place in the party or potluck and gets disappeared fast in the crowd.
- Chicken breast meat is great for making this recipe.
- Marination is optional, but I feel marination makes the chicken more flavorful.
- Vegetables are also optional but we feel the vegetables adds crunchiness and more colorful.
- Like any other Chinese recipe, this spicy Szechuan chicken recipe also takes a lower time for making.
- The recipe requires rice vinegar, and some of my readers ask for the substitute for rice vinegar. The rice vinegar brings a unique and beautiful flavor to the recipe, and I do not find any equivalent substitute so far. If I find any, I will update this recipe with its perfect substitution.
- Adjust the chili garlic sauce according to your taste.
How to make spicy Szechuan chicken
You can make either with the store-bought bottled Szechuan sauce or the homemade on. Making them from scratch is like a breeze, and suitable for the beginners as well. Make it bulk or in small quantity for single usage, both are easy and convenient.
Chicken. Boneless skinless chicken performs well in this recipe. But for them into bitesize cubes for the maximum sauce coat.
Soy sauce. Use light or dark soy sauce depending on the availability. Dark soy has a depth of flavor and a bit salty when compared to the light version.
Chili garlic sauce. A versatile Chinese readymade sauce comes beneficial for many recipes. If you are a fan of Asian food, this is a small worthy investment.
Corn starch. The Chinese style thickening agent also gives a glossy pleasing finish to this Asian spicy side dish.
Cooking oil. I made with vegetable oil however, t can be substituted with neutral cooking oil like canola oil or corn oil. Prefer making with sesame seeds oil for more authentic robust flavors.
Mixed vegetables. Broccoli, bell peppers, green bean, onion, carrot does compliments well here. To make this more eye-catchy, choose colorful veggies like red bell pepper.
The recipe directions
For the spicy Szechuan chicken marination, add 3 tablespoon of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and salt and allow it to marinate for 30 minutes.
To make the Szechuan sauce, In a small mixing bowl, add 4 tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of chili garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Combine all these ingredients and set aside for later use.
In a heavy-bottomed pan, add 3 tablespoon of cooking oil and followed chopped garlic and then by the marinated chicken. In the medium to high heat, fry them until the chicken gets cooked. Now add the vegetables and saute for a minute. Now add the kept aside sauce and bring it to boil. Switch off the flame when the gravy starts thickened to your required consistency.
Serve hot along with white rice.
The recipe FAQ
Is this recipe freeze friendly? Yes, this spicy Szechuan chicken is best for meal prep as well. Make in large batches, and store in individual serving portions. Which helps for longer storing time.
How to store? Always prefer airtight containers for refrigeration or freezing. Ziplock bags or freezer-safe containers are perfect. For the best results, once cooking is done and cooled down to the room temperature, immediately transfer to the containers.
How long to store? It is good to use within 4 days when refrigerated and within 2 months when frozen.
Why should I make the Szechuan sauce instead of readymades? Because it is easy to use and it is economical to make at home. And also the work involved is very minimal which is not worth paying the readymades.
Spicy Szechuan chicken
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon rice vinegar
- Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar. And set aside.
- To make the szechuan sauce, in a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar and cornstarch. Combine all the ingredients. And set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil and minced garlic. Saute them for a minute.
- In the medium to high heat, add marinated chicken and cook until they done well and perfect.
- Now add the broccoli florets and saute for a minute.
- Add kept aside sauce and bring it to boil.
- Once the gravy reached its required consistency, switch off the flame and serve hot.