'Aval Payasam' is considered to be dessert which is served at the end of the course. Payasam is also a divine food item offered to god at the festive times. So, payasam is inseparable from South Indian homes.
I always wish to make Paal Payasam because of two important reasons, number one, it is the easiest recipe and number two, it the most delicious recipe. If you ask my son, he would start raising many fingers for the positive factors for payasam.
While making the recipe, milk always needs your attention, as it easily tends to get boiled and overflowed. So, always keep an eye, when the payasam on the stovetop. If you are the multitasking person, please sacrifices fewer tasks while making :).
How to make Aval payasam
1. Soak aval/poha in water for about 20-30 min. Drain and keep aside. Perfectly soaked aval would be very soft, moist and nonstick.
2. Bring milk to boil by adding sugar, add the soaked and drained aval.
3. In the low flame cooks it further for 10-12 mins.
4. In the meantime, add ghee to a pan followed by chopped cashews and raisins. Fry it in the medium flame until raisins swell like a ball. Add this sizzling to the milk.
5. Add vanilla extract and remove it from the fire. Need to be very cautious while handling the milk as it tends to easily overflow.
Other desserts you may like,
- ½ cup beaten Rice / aval / poha
- 2 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cashew nuts roughly chopped
- ⅙ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoon ghee / clarified butter
- Soak aval(poha) in water for about 20-30 min. Drain and keep aside(Perfectly soaked aval would be very soft, moist and nonsticky).
- Over medium heat, in a large pot add milk to boil.
- Then add sugar, aval.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, over medium heat, in a pan add ghee, cashew nuts, and raisins.
- Shallow fry until raisins swells like a ball and cashew changes it color to golden brown.
- Add this sizzling to the milk.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Remove it from the heat. Serve hot or chilled.
Can be chilled and served as dessert.
Tips and Variations for aval payasam:
I have added vanilla essence, but it can also be substituted with cardamom or with your favorite essence.