This Banana Bajji Recipe yields crispy outside and soft inside bajjis. The same batter can be used for making any kind of bajji.
'Bajji' is the South Indian fritters, 'Banana Bajji's are the fritters made out of the raw banana.
If you happen to be a surprise guest to a South Indian's home, undoubtedly, you would be served with these hot n crispy banana bajji. As the ingredients are readily available in the kitchen and can be made in minutes.
Just 2 steps required to make these yummy bites. Mixing the flour, dip, and fry. As they are gets cooked in super quick moments, just adjust the flame to high n medium while frying.
Why we need to go for readymade bajji flour, where we can make the same at home without many efforts.
Rice flour added in this recipe to bring out the crispy crust, and I have added sambar powder to bring out beautiful aroma like readymade flour.
Traditionally orange food color will be added to the flour, but I have not added here, to minimize the chemical usages.
In this Banana Bajji Recipe, adding ginger is the Ayurvedic way of neutralizing the 'vayu' factor of banana. Adding them is optional and purely depends on time and availability.
How to make
Combine besan, rice flour, red chili powder, water, and salt to form a thick consistency batter.
Whisk until it becomes smooth and silky texture. Then add 2 tablespoons of hot oil to the batter. And whisk again until all the ingredients are combined well. And set aside.
Thinly slice the banana lengthwise. Using mandarin, could give you the perfect result of slicing or can also be sliced carefully by using the knife.
Heat oil in the pan. Once it becomes hot, dip sliced the banana onto the mixed batter, and carefully drop them into the hot oil.
The mixed batter and the banana tend to get cooked easily, so fry them till they become golden brown color in medium-high flame.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup or serve them with coconut chutney in the traditional way.
Banana Bajji Recipe
- 1 green banana
- 3/4 cup besan / chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil hot for adding to the batter
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, rice flour, red chili powder, water, and salt.
- Whisk until it becomes smooth and silky texture.
- Add 2 tablespoon of hot oil to the batter. And whisk again until all the ingredients are combined well. And set aside.
- Using mandarin or knife slice the green banana in the lengthwise as thinly as possible. And set aside.
- Over medium heat, place a frying pan and add vegetable oil.
- Gently dip each banana slice in the batter, and carefully drop them into the hot oil.
- Repeat by adding two or more slices to the pan without crowding.
- Deep fry them until it becomes golden brown in color and the edges becomes crispy.
- Transfer to the kitchen towel to remove the excess oil
- Serve hot.
Tips and Variations for Banana Bajji Recipe:
If the slices bananas are too thin, then combine together to make single bajji.
The same batter can be used to make onion bajji, chili bajji, mushroom bajji, etc. Searching for the chutney recipes to be served along with this hot bajjis? here the recipe is Coriander Chutney, Instant Tomato Chutney.