Indian plum cake recipe yields soft, moist, and rich in flavors. I'm sure everyone will love it. The leftovers can be refrigerated and suitable for about a week.
We do not wait for winter and Christmas to enjoy these goodies; we make them whenever we crave plum cakes.
Plum cakes are my husband's favorite; he loves them because of their mild sweetness and rich taste. Stores are loaded with plum cakes, but often, we get dry, throat-choking versions.
So, homemade is always good, as they are fresh and it is customized to suit your taste. Our other favorite cakes are Funnel cake.
- Substitute rum/brandy with apple juice(store-bought) if you prefer this Indian-style plum cake for the holidays.
- The cake tastes good if it is soaked for about a day.
- I added dried plums, dates, cranberries, black and golden raisins, apricots, cashews, walnuts, and almonds. You can add all or any combo of these nuts and fruits. But the varieties are suitable.
How to make Indian plum cake
Chop about 3 cups of dry fruits into small chunks. Hint: You may go for your favorite dry fruits; the more the varieties, the more tasty. I have added dried plums, dates, apricots, sweetened cranberries, black raisins, golden raisins, dried pineapple, cashews, walnuts, and almonds.
Add 1 cup of rum/brandy and stir it well. and rest it for 1 day, and mix it occasionally.
After a day, the dried fruits absorb all the liquor and look like moisture. Set aside, and we need it in later steps.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Beat one cup of butter(room temperature) with one cup of sugar. Then, add three eggs one at a time and beat them. Then add baking powder, nutmeg powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon powder, cocoa powder, and flour(a little at a time).
Scrape the side and beat until everything combines to form a uniform mixture.
Then, add the dry fruits and fold them gently with the spatula and flour mixture.
Grease and dust a baking pan, and add the batter up to ¾th. Bake it for about 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Hint: Baking temperature depends on the pan size and your oven, so keep an eye on it while baking.
Transfer it to a cooling rack. And serve.
Tips and variations
- Adjust or substitute alcohol with store-bought apple juice in this Indian plum cake recipe.
- The baking time depends on the size of the pan and the oven. So, baking time varies accordingly. If it starts aromatic, it is a sign of the final stages of baking.
- Add dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
Other desserts you may like,
Printable recipe card
Indian plum cake
- Chop about 3 cups of dry fruits into small chunks.
- Add rum/brandy, stir it well. and rest it for 1 day, by stirring it occasionally.
- After a day, the dried fruits absorbs all the liquor and looks moisture. Set aside, we need it later steps.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar well. Break open and add eggs one at a time and continue to beat it until fluffy.
- Then add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon powder, coco powder, and salt. And add little all-purpose flour at a time.
- Scrape the side and continue to beat until everything combine together for forms a uniform mixture.
- Then add kept aside dry fruits, and fold it gently with the spatula with the flour mixture.
- Grease and dust a baking pan, add the batter upto ¾th full. Bake it for about 45 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Hin
- Transfer it to a cooling rack. And serve.