Bottle Gourd Raita is always served as a coolant side for the spicy food. ‘Raita’ is nothing but veggies in yogurt. In the hot summer, as per the Indian cuisine it is always advised to include them in our daily menu.
A perfect South Indian menu to not get completed with this bottle guard raita recipe. My mom makes varieties of raita or pachadi to be served along with rice.
‘Bottle Gourd Raita’ is the healthy, delicious food perfect for hot summers…Yes. it suits everything. It is a perfect pair of Roti and Rice, to say specifically Sambar Rice, Tomato Rice, capsicum rice.
What is Sorakai Pachadi?
Sorakai means bottle gourd and is one of the Indian green vegetable. This vegetable is widely used in the summer time to make our body cool. The term pachadi in Tamil cuisine usually refers to the side dishes made with yogurt/curd.
To sumup, Sorakai pachadi is the side dish made with yogurt and cooked bottle gourd.
How is it regionally called?
Bottle guord is also called as sorakai in Tamil, doodhi in Marati, Lauki in Hindi and sorakkaya in Telugu. This Indian bottle gourd recipe is also called as lauki raita or lauki ka raita in Hindi. Od doodhi raita in marati.
How to make pachadi?
Peel and remove the seeds. Cut into small pieces. Cut into the size of corn kernels. The smaller sized pieces are great for making pachadi.
Heat 1/2 cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring it to boil. Cook until the vegetable is cooked completely.
Once the surakkai is cooked, drain the exccess water if any and add it to the serving bowl. Add 1/2 cup of yogurt. And set aside.
The final part is seasoning. No South Indian dish gets complete without tempering mustards. And the same fact applies here as well.
For tempering, heat a small pan, add a teaspoon of cooking oil, mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
Add this mustard tempering to the vegetable mix. And combine them gently.
Surakkai pachadi - Bottle Gourd Raita
- 1 cup bottle gourd chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- .5 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal / skinless black gram
- 1/2 cup yogurt /curd
- Peel and remove the seeds of bottle gourd.
- Chop bottle gourd into small pieces.
- In a pot, add water, chopped bottle gourd, water, and salt.
- Cover the lid and cook it till it's completely cooked and absorbs entire water. Keep it aside and bring it to the room temperature.
- In a pan add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds and urad dal. And allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
- In a bowl add the cooked gourd, yogurt, and the tempering.
- Serve it with hot roti, sambar rice or Tomato Rice.
Do not forget to check out another recipe, Cucumber Raitha here in PepperBowl.
Tips and Variations:
1. While cooking bottle guard, if you left with excess water. Please do not drain it, as it contains all the healthy benefits. Add this excess water to knead roti or add it to any dish which needs water.
2. To make it this recipe much quicker, avoid sauteing onion and tomatoes.
Serving Suggestions for Bottle Guard Raitha Recipe:
1. Serve it with roti/chapathi or along with regular rice meal.
2. It also perfectly pairs up with Biryani or other mixed rices.