This Bread Poha Recipe is great for converting leftover bread slices into a heartwarming breakfast dish. And this food can also be served in the evening along with tea. It's spicy food but the spice level can be adjusted to every individual's preferences.
You can find step by step pictures and with some simple tips. And I hope this could help you to make and also to customize to your choice.
Many of us find untouched half or quarter loaf of bread in the refrigerator. What if, there is a recipe to use those untouched and nonpreferred leftover bread.
Sounds great right? I sure, you may start saving the remaining slices of bread exclusively for making this bread poha.
And the ingredients are very simple and it may available in every single kitchen. Here, I have used honey wheat bread, furthermore, it can be made with any type of bread. Whether it is whole wheat bread or white bread or sandwich bread or garlic bread or any other bread.
Since I'm insisting on leftover, and it does not mean that It has to be leftover bread. But fresh slices of bread can also be used for making this bread poha recipe.
How to Make Bread Poha Recipe:
Heat oil in a pan adds cooking oil followed by mustard seeds. Allow mustard seeds to crackle. Then add chopped onion and saute it until it becomes pink and tender.
Add chopped tomato and stilted green chilies. Continue to saute it until tomatoes turn mushy. Hint: Add chopped green chilies, if you need it to be spicier.
Add the quarter teaspoon of salt to make tomatoes to cook faster and turn mushy.
I have added honey wheat bread, but you may white bread / whole wheat bread or any bread slices of your choice.
Using a knife chop them into small-sized pieces. The size shown in this picture would be perfect. That is the size of the bread can be approximately half an inch. Hint: You may also gently crumble them with hand.
Once tomatoes turned mushy, add ¼th cup of water. And bring the mixture to boil.
Once it arrives at the thicker consistency like in this picture, add chili powder and garam masala and saute for a minute.
Then add crumbled bread pieces and gently combine them until entire bread crumbles are well coated with the masala.
Sprinkle chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve bread poha hot.
For this Bread Poha Recipe, Tomato ketchup, pickles are the best choices of condiments to be served with.
Bread Poha Recipe
- Chop 4 slices of bread into half an inch sized pieces using bread knife.
- In medium heat, add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan.
- Add black mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add chopped onions and cook it until it turns pink and tender.
- Then add slitted green chilies and chopped tomatoes, cook it until it turns mushy.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cook till the mixture becomes thicker.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala, cook it for a minute.
- Add crumbled bread pieces and gently mix until bread pieces are evenly coated with the masala mixture.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.