Here, the Cabbage Manchurian recipe is illustrated with step-by-step pictures and instructions. This gravy is spicy, sweet, crunchy, and soft and this dish does taste everything you hope. And a delectable Chinese cabbage side dish that can be made effortlessly.
Trying out various cuisines at home is interesting and exciting if the recipe is straightforward. So I suggest you try this cabbage Manchurian. And I'm sure you are going to love this.
Manchurian is one of the famous Chinese dishes not only in China but around the world. It is one of the popular Indo-Chinese recipes and a favorite Indian street food. It became famous undoubtedly for its bundle of taste.
This spicy Indo-Chinese style gravy has everything: sweet, salty, spicy, crunchy, crispy? These tastes complement each other and everyone loves it.
Manchurian can be made with many variations of vegetables/chicken. Chicken and Cauliflower Manchurian are very famous restaurant-style dishes in India. Overall, this Indo-Chinese cabbage Manchurian tastes slightly similar but differs significantly in texture. This vegetarian version of Manchurian is easy to dish for vegetarian and vegan lovers.
Though the main ingredient changes, the other ingredients for the gravy remain the same. The veg cabbage Manchurian gravy recipe is simple and needs few ingredients. And these ingredients may be available in your local stores.
The Manchurian balls can be made in advance if you plan to make this dish for a party. Add these to the gravy before serving.
Serve the Manchurian balls alone, one of the best snack items with cabbage.
Searching for more like this cabbage Manchurian gravy? Try these,
Pro tips for making Cabbage Manchurian
- How to make Manchurian balls crispy? Squeeze out the juice entirely from the cabbage. If not correctly squeezed out, vegetables may absorb more oil while frying.
- The squeezed-out water extract of this vegetable can be used for making vegetable broth.
- For variation, add grated carrots or other vegetables to make Manchurian balls.
- The same recipe can be used to make thick or dry Manchurian gravy. To achieve the desired consistency, adjust the water.
- The cornstarch thickens quickly, so proper care should be given.
How to make cabbage Manchurian:
Grate cabbage measures about 2 cups and squeeze them completely to extract its juice.
Add ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour, ⅓ cup of cornstarch, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Combine them well and make small-sized balls.
Heat cooking oil in the pan and add these balls one by one. And fry them until it becomes crispy and golden brown.
Transfer them to the kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Keep it aside; we need it at the final steps of this dish.
Add chili paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, cornstarch, and 1 cup of water in a small mixing bowl. Dilute and combine them well. Keep it aside.
Add a teaspoon of cooking oil in a pan, followed by minced garlic. Fry them on high flame for a few seconds.
Add a half cup of cubed green peppers and a half cup of onion slices. Flash fry them for a minute in high flame. Now add the spice mixture we made. now our Chinese gravy is ready.
Cook until it reaches the desired consistency. Add fried balls, just switching off the flame.
Combine them well. Serve cabbage Manchurian hot along with rice or naan bread.
Other related recipes,
- Chili garlic edamame
- Easy teriyaki sauce recipe
- Hibachi onion soup
- Chinese spicy tofu
- Instant pot sushi rice
- Bok Choy and Rice
- Asian recipes
Printable recipe card
For the cabbage balls
For the base sauce
For the Manchurian
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ cup green bell pepper cubed
- ½ cup onion cubed slices
- 1 cup water
For the cabbage balls
- Grate cabbage and squeeze them completely to extract its juice.
- In a mixing bowl cabbage, all purpose flour, corn starch, and salt.
- Combine them well.
- Divide into equal portions and make small sized balls.
- Heat the oil in the pan for frying. Add cabbage balls one at a time.
- Fry them until it becomes crispy and golden brown in color.
- Transfer them to the kitchen towel and keep aside.
For the base sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, add garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, corn starch, and a cup of water.
- Combine and keep aside.
For the Manchurian
- In a pan add a teaspoon of vegetable oil and minced garlic.
- Saute on high flame for few seconds.
- Add green bell peppers and onion slices. Saute for a minute.
- Now add kept aside base sauce mixture.
- Cook until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add fried balls just switching off the flame.
- Serve cabbage Manchurian hot along with rice, flat bread.
How to make cabbage Manchurian crispy?
To make it crispy,
- The cabbage's moisture content is one factor that determines its crispiness. So, squeeze out its juice as much as you can.
- Cornstarch/corn flour is another ingredient that makes it crispy.
- Frying in the proper heat-fry in medium heat and stir them occasionally to make it even.
Can you freeze Manchurian balls?
I would suggest you serve as soon as you make it. However, you can freeze the leftover. The freshly made food always tastes good; this rule also applies to this recipe.
Cabbage Manchurian without cornflour?
Yes, you may substitute cornflour with arrowroot starch/flour.
Can I make it without onion and garlic?
- I know some of you do not prefer onion and garlic. Skip these ingredients from the list while making.
- But for others, garlic brings out all the flavors and tastes of the recipe. Skipping these ingredients may not be advisable.
What to serve with?
- This dish is best served with fried rice, naan, noodles, roti, steamed rice, etc.
- The dry cabbage ball can be served as an appetizer; do it with the tomato ketchup or any of your favorite sauces.