Cabbage Sabzi-Maharashtrian style recipe is a delicious way to make everyone to eat cabbage. A super simple everyday recipe made with cabbage, turmeric powder, and chickpea flour. Other ingredients are commonly available across the globe.
Rich, creamy, mild cabbage recipe with subtle flavors. The best is a simple cabbage sabzi recipe for those who are looking for nonspicy Indian recipes. This becomes one of my favorite recipes that has been regular in my healthy meal side dishes.
What is good about Cabbage?
Cabbage has beta-carotene, Vitamin C, and rich in fiber.
We make vegetable side dishes a lot, and nowadays I reduced my rice portion and increased with vegetable portion.
This helps me to maintain health and my body weight. A good quantity of vegetables in our daily diet always helps for our active life, like this Cabbage Sabzi-Maharashtrian style.
What is Cabbage sabzi?
The word 'Sabzi' refers to cooked vegetables. It is the common word that is used for everyday simple side dishes. And here in this post, I'm sharing the cabbage sabzi-Maharashtrian style recipe. Maharastra is a western state in India.
This cabbage sabzi-Maharashtrian style is regionally called 'Kobichi Bhaji'. What makes this recipe special and regional, the ingredients chickpea flour/besan and the asafoetida are the two ingredients, makes this sabzi authentic and traditional.
How does this taste like?
This tastes savory with flavors well rounded and satisfying because of the cabbage, cumin, and asafoetida. This is a healthy weekday recipe, which is made in a simple way. And the cabbage sabzi with besan has all the flavors of the cabbage and it is slightly mellow down with chickpea flour. And this makes this wonderful to serve with roti or rice.
Serving ideas for Cabbage sabzi- Maharashtrian style
This Cabbage Sabzi-Maharashtrian style is the best combo for roti / chapathi. No matter what you serve this with, it will filling your stomach without weighing you down.
I do not want to pull me down with loads of heavy starchy food. Instead, I like to feed myself with high energetic, low calorie, light food.
Long ago, I was worried that how am I going to design my everyday meal in a hearty way. Well, that is not my problem until I discovered these type of simple cabbage sabzi-North Indian style.
Serve this to roti or rice along with a cup of curd/yogurt, makes this as a wholesome meal.
Variations Patta gobi recipe-Maharashtrian
- Add in ginger garlic paste, for a spicy variation.
- Add green peas while cooking cabbage, this makes Patta gobi bhaji looks more attractive and appetite.
- Add in grated carrots, which adds color and nutrients to the side dish.
- Add a teaspoon of red chili powder, if you want the dish to be spicy.
- Add in half a tomato or a teaspoon of dry mango powder to give a kick.
- And few drops of lemon juice adds a little zing to the recipe.
Make-ahead and storing ideas
You can make this Cabbage Sabzi-Maharashtrian style ahead of time in two ways. That is you can prep all the vegetables and cook whenever needed or you can cook prior and reheat whenever needed. This flower chi bhaji recipe(in the Marathi language) works either way.
To store always use an airtight container when storing it in the refrigerator. As this dish's flavor should not be contaminated with the inside odor. This is good to use if refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 3 months.
Other vegetarian side dish recipes you may like,
- Onion pakora
- How to make curd at home
- Rasam recipe
- Cauliflower Manchurian
- Murukku recipe
- Indian side dish recipes
Printable recipe card
Cabbage sabzi Maharashtrian style
- Heat oil to a pan followed by black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Wait till mustard seeds splutters.
- Now add asafoetida and green chilies. Saute until asafoetida is fragrant.
- Turn to low heat, add turmeric powder and toss in the oil for a second.
- Then add shredded cabbage, water and salt.
- Cover the pan with the lid and simmer the heat. Cook it till cabbage becomes soft and tender, by stirring occasionally.
- Add chickpea flour and cook uncovered until the cabbage becomes dry.
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Do not forget to check out the basic recipe for making Roties, here in PepperBowl.