Chettinad fish fry, made with pepper. Fennel seeds, cumin seeds. It tastes spicy and fabulous, perfect to be served with rice.
It is my long-time wish to make Pomfret Fish fry at home. Here, pomfret variety is unavailable in the regular stores, and we rarely get frozen fresh pomfret in Indian Stores. The breathtaking part is cleaning and cutting; we get whole uncut fish here.
The vital requirement for slicing the fish is a razor-sharp knife, or else you may end up with fish pudding, haha. Despite all this pain, the final result of this Chettinad fish fry would be incredible.
Pomfret has its flavor; the sizzling fish flavor could convert 'Fish Lovers' to 'Fish Devotees.' The masala in this Chettinad fish fry recipe is a licking component. Perfectly done masala draws everyone's attention.
How to make Chettinad Fish Fry:
1. Grind onion, coconut, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and pepper.
2. To wash and clean fish slices, add chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and the ground paste, mix well and keep it aside. Let it marinate for about 15-30 min.
3. Add 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently slide in the marinated fish slices. In a low to medium flame, cook it on both sides till it becomes crispy and golden brown by flipping it occasionally. Make sure that the masala does not get burned.
It can be a perfect starter at parties, serve as a side to steamed rice, and fall in love with the aromatic masala around the fish.
Serve Chettinad fish fry as an appetizer or as a side dish to rice. Perfect for dinner or lunch. A crowd-pleasing recipe.
Other seafood recipes you may like,
Printable recipe card
Chettinad Fish Fry
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil or as required
- In a spice jar, add onion, coconut, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper, and water.
- Grind it to a thick fine paste. And set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add fish slices, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and the ground paste.
- Combine well and keep it aside for about 30 min.
- Over low-medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed pan, add 3 tablespoon of oil and gently slide in the marinated fish slices.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until the edges become crispy and golden brown.
- Flip to the other side and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook for 4 minutes or until it is done.
- Serve hot with rice.