Chettinad fish fry, made with pepper. fennel seeds, cumin seeds. Tastes spicy and great, perfect to be served with rice.
It is my long time wish to make Pomfret Fish fry at home. Here, pomfret variety is not available in the regular stores and it is rare we get in frozen fresh pomfret in Indian Stores. The breathtaking part is cleaning and cutting, as we are getting whole uncut fish here.
The vital requirement for slicing the fish is a razor sharp knife, else you may end up with fish pudding, haha. Inspite of all these pain, the final result of this Chettinad fish fry would be incredible.
Pomfret has got its own flavor, the sizzling fish flavor could convert 'Fish Lovers' to 'Fish Devotees'. The masala in this Chettinad fish fry recipe is finger licking component. Perfectly done masala draws everyone's attention.
How to make Chettinad Fish Fry:
1. Grind all the ingredients onion, coconut, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and pepper.
2. To the wash and cleaned fish slices, add chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and the ground paste, mix well and keep it aside. Let it marinate for about 15-30 min.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan add 2-3 tablespoon of oil and gently slide in the marinated fish slices. In the low to medium flame, cook it both the sides till it becomes crispy and golden brown by flipping it occasionally. Make sure that the masala should not get burned.
It can a perfect starter in parties and serve as a side to steamed rice and fall in love with the aromatic masala around the fish.
Serve Chettinad fish fry as appetizer or as side dish to rice. Perfect for dinner or for lunch. A crowd pleasing recipe.
Other seafood recipes you may like,
Chettinad Fish Fry
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil or as required
- In a spice jar, add onion, coconut, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper, and water.
- Grind it to a thick fine paste. And set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add fish slices, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and the ground paste.
- Combine well and keep it aside for about 30 min.
- Over low-medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed pan, add 3 tablespoon of oil and gently slide in the marinated fish slices.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until the edges become crispy and golden brown.
- Flip to the other side and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook for 4 minutes or until it is done.
- Serve hot with rice.