Chicken kurma, it goes very well with Idli, Dosa, Parota, Chapathi, rice, and almost everything. This recipe is very easy and super quick to make.
Our family loves to have it with parottas, roti. As we are using the pressure cooker for this recipe, makes our work easier. Easier work does not mean that compromising on the taste. This is very tastier and always turns out well.
What is Kurma?
Kurma is the semi-thick gravy usually made with ground coconut. Making kurma with coconut paste is popular in Andhra style, Tamil Nadu style recipes. Kurma can be made with vegetables and meat like chicken or with mutton(goat meat), or with eggs.
This Chicken kurma Tamilnadu style is a one-pot dish, made with pressure cook from start to finish.
How this chicken kurma tastes like?
This is a flavorful chicken curry with rich perfectly blended mixed flavors. This is spicy, creamy, with a hint of sourness from the tomatoes, with the flavors cilantro. So put it all together, this chicken kurma is a wonderful bundle of taste and flavor, that everyone will fall in love with. This is the best kurma for idli and other Tamil breakfast dishes.
How to serve chicken Kurma?
- It is the perfect kurma which goes perfectly with anything, right from roti/chapathi, mixed rice verities, biryanis to sambar rice as well.
- Before serving sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- This is the rich spicy side dish, best if served as a side dish to North Indian Roti, Gobi Paratha, Cabbage Paratha
- It is also best suitable to serve as a side dish for South Indian main dishes like Idli, dosas, rice. I could definitely say, this as the best and easy chicken kurma for chapati.
- This is easy, simple, and very quick to make chicken kurma.
- Vegetarians can substitute chicken with your favorite veggies.
- You can substitute the cooking oil with the butter if you prefer to make a rich dinner side dish. Increase the amount of butter for a more rich curry.
- Potato, cauliflower, peas are some of the vegetables that you can substitute with chicken in this recipe.
- You may also swap paneer( Indian cottage cheese) or tofu.
- You may also add mint leaves for an extra punch.
This chicken kurma recipe is the most inviting side dish for the surprise guest and great for a crowd or potlucks. This is a simple dish that gets you applause for sure when served at the party.
When planning for the party or potluck, Wash and clean the chicken and freeze or refrigerate it. Pull it down and make the chicken kurma whenever needed.
You may also saute the onion tomato gravy ahead of time, just combine and cook whenever needed.
You may transfer the leftover Tamil Nadu style chicken kurma in the airtight container. And refrigerator or keep in the freezer for a longer duration.
To reheat, you may microwave for 3 minutes in small intervals by stirring in between. Though reheating in the microwave is simple and easy, the stovetop method is the best, as the coconut turns unpleasant if it is overheated.
Other chicken recipes,
- Cedar Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Coriander chicken curry
- Lemon coriander chicken
- Seekh kabab in oven
- Chicken recipes
Printable recipe card
- Over medium heat, place a pressure cooker pan.
- Add vegetable oil and fennel seeds. And allow it turn golden brown in color.
- onion. Saute till onion becomes soft and tender.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes became mushy, add chili powder, dhania powder, turmeric powder and stir it for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add cleaned chicken and salt . No need to add water.
- Close the cooker lid and cook for 3-5 min or 2 whistles.
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally, and add chopped coriander leaves, crushed black pepper.
- Gently stir and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this chicken kurmaTamilnadu style with your preferred main course.
Liked this Chicken kurma Tamilnadu style recipe? You may also check another interesting recipe Madurai Chicken Curry.