Chitranna is an easy South Indian rice recipe, perfect for the lunch box and busy days. Made with lemon juice, turmeric powder, onion, curry leaves. This is the most popular rice dish from the Indian state of Karnataka.
This chitranna recipe and lemon rice recipe are similar. They have standard procedures and ingredients but differ in taste and flavor.
The main difference between these two recipes is the addition of chopped onion. We do not add chopped onion in lemon rice, but in chitranna, we add.
Chitranna is my family's first choice when they need light and warm food. I accept this too quickly as it is easier to make. No mess in the kitchen. Another positive factor is that it does not require fancy side dishes. Potato fry, Chili Vathal, or simple egg gravy will do. And this recipe brings a smile to both me and my family.
Check Kashmiri Pulao recipe if you are searching for other easy rice recipes for lunch.
How to make Chitranna
Heat 4 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow mustard seeds to splutter.
Then add Bengal gram and peanuts. In low heat, roast until they become golden brown.
Then add chopped onion, curry leaves, green chili and saute until the onion becomes translucent. Then add turmeric powder and saute for a second.
Then add cooked rice, followed by salt and lemon juice. Gently stir them until all the ingredients blend well with the rice. check for the salt and add if necessary.
Serve hot along with potato fry or chips.
Other rice recipes you may like,
Printable recipe card
- 4 tablespoon sunflower oil /any neutral cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1 tablespoon chana dal /split chickpea
- 3 tablespoon peanut
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chili serrano pepper-chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups cooked rice /any long grain veriety
- ½ teaspoon salt or as requied
- 4-5 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat 4 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan. Add black mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts.
- In simmer flame roast until they become golden brown in color and allow black mustard seeds to splutter.
- Then add chopped onion, curry leaves, green chili and saute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Then add turmeric powder and saute for a second.
- Then add cooked rice, followed by salt and lemon juice.
- Gently stir them until all the ingredients blends well with the rice. check for the salt and add if necessary.
- Serve hot along with potato fry or chips.