Is it raining, cloudy, snowy outside your windows? Sure you must try this Coriander chicken curry recipe. It's not your regular chicken recipe though it made with all the regular ingredients.
This Indian green chicken curry recipe is delicious with a bundle of taste and flavors. And with the perfect combination of fresh coriander.
"Sundays are Chicken Days" is an unwritten rule in our home, probably in most of your homes as well. The chicken is a versatile ingredient, which can be beautifully transformed and fits into any cuisine.
Repeating the same recipe all the time, gives boredom to everyone, from the cook to the members of the family. Skipping rules and trying out the newer recipe, refreshes the whole family.
This coriander chicken curry, a simple recipe in the same ingredients you use for any other chicken recipes. But the process and approach are a little different.
You should definitely try these types of recipes in between your regular cooking.
Pro tips for coriander chicken curry
My secret weapon for bringing flavor and taste to my cooking is this one, which is in the picture. A small stone spice grinder. I believe that grinding manually using mortar and pestle makes the dishes aromatic, and use very often in my kitchen.
You can use if you have one in your kitchen. If not, grind the spices in your regular electric mixer/grinder.
- Add ground coconut paste or ground cashew paste for richer gravy for the coriander chicken curry.
- The vegetarian way of making the same recipe, use paneer or mushroom.
- I have used pestle and mortar, but you can also use your electric blender/mixer.
- This is the gravy version recipe if you want to make coriander chicken dry recipe, use the same recipe but cook longer until gravy thickens and the masala coats the chicken well.
How to make coriander chicken curry
Prepping. Chop coriander leaves. Puree tomatoes by grinding it in mixer/grinder.
Add black peppercorn, cumin seed to the pestle and mortar.
Then add chopped ginger and garlic. Grind these to a coarse mixture.
Saute Onion. Over medium heat, place a pan and add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Add a small cinnamon stick of 1-inch size, and 3 cloves. Let them sizzle in the oil until they turn brown in color.
Now add thinly sliced onion.
Saute until onion turns pink and tender.
Stir occasionally and make sure nothing should get sticks to the pan's bottom or get burnt. Add a teaspoon of oil, if the onion starts sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add spices and tomato. Add the ground spice mix to the pan with the sauteed onion.
Add tomato puree and saute it for about 3 minutes, until the gravy shrinks a little. Add Chopped coriander leaves.
Add chicken and spice powders. Followed by washed and cleaned chicken pieces.
Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Combine them well.
Close the pan with a lid and reduce the flame between simmer-medium flame. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken pieces is fully cooked.
Adjust with water to reach desired consistency, and allow to cook for 2 minutes extra, until the added water combines well with the gravy.
Serve. Remove from fire and serve Coriander Pepper Chicken hot with Rice/Roti.
What to serve with?
- Serve hot with rice/Chapathi/Roti
- We love to have this recipe along with simple Rasam Rice.
- Egg fried rice
- Indian coconut rice
- Bagara rice
Other chicken recipes,
- Seekh kabab in oven
- Cedar Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Lemon coriander chicken
- Tandoori grilled chicken
- Chicken recipes
Coriander chicken curry
Ingredients For Grinding:
- 1 tbsp whole black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 6 cloves garlic
- Chop coriander leaves. Puree tomatoes by grinding it in mixer/grinder.
- Add black pepper, cumin seed, ginger, and garlic to the pestle and mortar.
- And grind them to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan in the medium heat. Add cinnamon stick and cloves. Let them sizzle in the oil until they turn brown in color.
- Add sliced onions. Saute until onion turns pink and tender.
- Add the ground spice mixture to onion in the pan.
- Add tomato puree and saute it for about 3 minutes, until the gravy shrinks a little. Add Chopped coriander leaves.
- Followed by washed and cleaned chicken pieces.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Close the pan with a lid and reduce the flame between simmer-medium flame. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken pieces are fully cooked.
- Adjust with water to reach desired consistency.
- Remove from fire and serve with Rice or Roti.