This Dhal Thadka version is prepared from Toor dal, which has high protein content. This is very easier and simpler to make. It doesn’t require much preparation work.
Everyone have their own and customized recipe for this ‘Dhal Thadka’. This version is prepared from Toor dal, which has high protein content. This is very easier and simpler to make. It doesn’t require much preparing work. For me, I consider this is the best protein packed side dish for roti / chapathi.
- 1/2 Cup Split pigeon peas / Toor dal
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Kitchen King Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Green chili
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Clean and wash all the required vegetables. Chop onion, tomato, chili, garlic, curry leaves.
- In the cooker add oil followed by cumin, garlic followed by onion, fry till onion becomes pink and soft. Then add chopped tomato and fry for few more minutes till tomato becomes mushy. Then add curry leaves and finally green chilies.
- Add Toor dal, close the lid of the cooker and pressure cook it till its completely cooked. You know your cooker very well rather me, so decide the cooking time accordingly. I kept it in high flame for 2 whistles and 7 minutes in simmer flame.
- Add coriander leaves and serve Dhal Thadka hot with butter as a side dish for roti / chapathi
Tips and Variations:
1. You can also add your favorite vegetables like green peas, carrots.
2. Avoid butter to reduce this recipe’s calorie content.
Serving Suggestions for Dhal Thadka:
1. Sprinkle some garam masala or chat masala, in the end, to give a different flavor to the recipe.