Capsicum Rice or Green Pepper Rice is the best one-pot meal that can be made in minutes. Many names, green peppers/bell peppers, have referred to it.
Undoubtedly, capsicum comes first in the queue to grab the 'King of the Flavor' in the veggie world. I love its round, whole flavor. They have the property of enhancing the aroma of any dish.
This is one of the delicious bell pepper recipes in India.
I'm sick of 'Monday madness' with little work, and for a better lunch, I opted for this super easy-to-make bell pepper rice in Indian style. Egg gravy potato fry will make the right combo for this rice. This capsicum rice is straightforward to prepare yet delicious, too.
If you are searching for a recipe for capsicum rice, you have landed here on this page perfectly. In this post, you can find multiple interesting variations and learn how to incorporate them into this spicy Indian rice.
Have you checked Spicy Tomato Rice for the next day's menu?
Why should you make this capsicum rice recipe?
- This is more convenient to make in the busy hours.
- It involves fewer steps and procedures.
- The taste is fantastic, making it a perfect lunch box menu.
- The ingredients list is not that long to pull down your entire kitchen.
- You can make it ahead of the base and mix it with rice.
- To put it all together, it is also easy, tasty, and cost-effective.
It is not made with mustard, cumin, or coriander seeds.
Variations for the capsicum rice recipe
This is a simple basic recipe, and hence, you have more choices of variations and alterations. You can make it with a variety of vegetables, which do not have any limitations for the vegetables to use.
Potato- Potato would be the first variation I could think of. This balances the flavor of the capsicum well. The potato will be infused with the capsicum's aroma.
Corn- The mild sweetness of the corn would make it perfect to combine with this capsicum masala rice. And this combo looks very colorful as well.
Green peas- Green peas blend with this spicy rice.
Carrot- Like corn, the carrot's natural sweetness establishes the taste nicely. Adding them as thinly sliced will not change the color of the rice.
Tomato- This tomato capsicum rice recipe variation adds a luscious tang that tastes like spicy biryani.
Paneer- This adds a lot of protein and makes it super delicious. Add paneer if you plan to make your dish wholesome with many more nutrients. You can add them as crumbled or cubed in this capsicum masala rice.
Garam Masala: Add for a pleasant aroma.
Mushroom/soya chunks/tofu are also other suggestive ingredients.
You may use the same rice you regularly use. You may also use basmati rice too.
How to make Capsicum Rice:
Preparation: How to prepare fried rice? It is super simple. First, chop onion, capsicum, and garlic. Break the cashew into small pieces.
Seasoning: In a pan, add cooking oil, fennel seed, roasted peanuts, and red chili.
Make capsicum masala- Add chopped onion curry leaves once the ingredients turn golden brown.
Saute until the onion becomes translucent. Then add minced garlic and chopped capsicum.
When the green pepper mixture becomes soft, add a pinch of turmeric powder(which adds color and a little flavor to the rice) and cook for 1 more minute.
Remove it from the flame and let it cool for some time.
Combine: Once the masala mixture cooled down, combine gently with the cooked rice. For the best results, allow the cooked rice to cool down. Otherwise, the rice will become mushy when it is combined hot.
Serve: Hot with boiled eggs or pan-fried potatoes are the best combos with this Capsicum Rice.
Other rice recipes,
- Mint rice
- Delicious Bagara rice
- Szechuan fried rice
- Lemon rice recipe
- Veg Biryani
- Indian rice recipes
Printable recipe card
Easy Indian Capsicum Rice Recipe-Green Pepper Rice
- Over medium heat, in a pan add vegetable oil, fennel seeds, peanuts, and cashew nuts.
- Stir fry them until the peanuts turn to golden brown.
- Then add onion and curry leaves. And fry for until onion turns pick and soft.
- Then toss minced garlic and chopped capsicum. Saute until the capsicum becomes soft.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and cook it further for another 1 minute.
- Remove it from the flame and let it cool for some time.
- Then spread cooked rice, and gently toss until the rice is coated well with the masala mixture evenly.
- Serve hot with raita.
- Boiled eggs and Pan Fried Potatoes are the best combos with this Indian green pepper Rice.
- Onion, capsicum, garlic should not get burnt, as it will add bitterness to the rice.
- Let the cooked rice to cool for 5 min, before mixing it with the cooked capsicum mixture. Otherwise, the capsicum rice will become stickier.