Capsicum Rice or Green Pepper Rice is best one pot meal that can be made in minutes. It has been referred by many names, green peppers/bell peppers.
Undoubtedly capsicum comes first in the queue to grab the 'King of the Flavor' in the veggie world. I love its round, whole flavor. They have the property of enhancing the aroma of any dish.
This is one of the delicious bell pepper recipes in India.
I'm sick of 'Monday madness', with little work and for better lunch, I opted for this super easy to make bell pepper rice in Indian style. Egg gravy, potato fry will make a right combo for this rice. This capsicum rice is very easy to prepare yet delicious too.
If you are searching recipe for capsicum rice, you have landed here in this page perfectly. In this post, you can find the multiple interesting variations, and learn how to incorporate into this spicy Indian rice.
Have you checked Spicy Tomato Rice for the next day menu?
Why you should make this capsicum rice recipe?
- This is more convenient to make in the busy hours.
- Does involves fewer steps and procedures.
- The taste is awesome, make it a perfect lunch box menu.
- The ingredients list is not that long to pull down your entire kitchen.
- You can make ahead of the base and mix it with rice whenever needed.
- To put it all together, it is easy, tasty and cost effective as well.
Does not made with mustard seeds, cumin seeds or coriander seeds.
Variations for the capsicum rice recipe
This is the simple basic recipe, and hence you have more choices of variations and alterations. You can make with a variety of vegetables, which do not have any limitation for the vegetable to use.
Potato- Potato would be the first variation I could think of. As this balances the flavor of the capsicum well. In fact, the potato will be infused with the capsicum's aroma.
Corn- The mild sweetness of the corn would make it perfect to combine with this capsicum masala rice. And this combo looks very colorful as well.
Green peas- Green peas give blends with this spicy rice.
Carrot- Same as the corn, the carrots natural sweetness stablishes the taste well. Adding them as thinly sliced will not change the color of the rice.
Tomato- This tomato capsicum rice recipe variation adds a luscious tang, tastes like spicy biryani.
Paneer- This adds a good amount of protein and makes it super delicious. If planning to make your dish wholesome with lot more nutrients, add in paneer. You can add them as crumbled or cubed in this capsicum masala rice.
Garam Masala: Add for rich Indian aroma.
Mushroom/soya chunks/tofu are also other suggestive ingredients.
You may use the same rice you regularly use. Or you may also use basmati rice too.
How to make Capsicum Rice:
Preparation: How to prepare fried rice? it is super simple and straightforward. First, chop onion, capsicum, and garlic. Break cashew into small pieces.
Seasoning: In a pan, add cooking oil, fennel seed, roasted peanuts, and red chili.
Make capsicum masala- Once the ingredients turn golden brown, add chopped onion, curry leaves.
Saute until onion becomes translucent. Then add minced garlic and chopped capsicum.
When the green pepper mixture becomes soft, add a pinch of turmeric powder(which adds color and the little flavor to the rice) and cook for 1 more minute.
Remove it from the flame and let it cool for some time.
Combine: Once the masala mixture cooled down, combine gently with the cooked rice. For the best results, allow the cooked rice to cool down. Otherwise, the rice will become mushy when it is combined hot.
Serve: hot with boiled eggs, or pan-fried potatoes are the best combos with this Capsicum Rice.
Other rice recipes,
Printable recipe card
Easy Indian Capsicum Rice Recipe-Green Pepper Rice
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil /ghee
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon peanuts roasted
- 6 cashew nuts broken
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup capsicum /green pepper-roughly chopped
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- Over medium heat, in a pan add vegetable oil, fennel seeds, peanuts, and cashew nuts.
- Stir fry them until the peanuts turn to golden brown.
- Then add onion and curry leaves. And fry for until onion turns pick and soft.
- Then toss minced garlic and chopped capsicum. Saute until the capsicum becomes soft.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and cook it further for another 1 minute.
- Remove it from the flame and let it cool for some time.
- Then spread cooked rice, and gently toss until the rice is coated well with the masala mixture evenly.
- Serve hot with raita.
- Boiled eggs and Pan Fried Potatoes are the best combos with this Indian green pepper Rice.
- Onion, capsicum, garlic should not get burnt, as it will add bitterness to the rice.
- Let the cooked rice to cool for 5 min, before mixing it with the cooked capsicum mixture. Otherwise, the capsicum rice will become stickier.
Liked Capsicum Rice recipe? Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram.
I often prepare capsicum chitranna at home..like ur prep..yum
one pot meal this word i kept reading in blogging world bt now i understand it
looks yummy tasty and quite colorful
when i made my chutney pulao i added onion capsicum and peas to it to give slight greenish color
its good the way we use the rice isnt it
Yes, capsicum is SO good. It does add a special flavor to anything you put it in.
This rice looks very very tasty. Very healthy and such a nice color too.
Wow looks so appetizing I love bell peppers will definitely try your version 🙂
looks real nice and yummy..
Scrumptious one pot meal..Looks very colorful and tempting..First time here and love your space..Happy to follow you..
Yum, can't wait to try thus recipe! Thanks for stopping by The Saucy Gourmet! I am now your latest follower! Look forward to sharing.
Treatntrick Treat and Trick
Great clicks and looks so yum! Thanks so much for stopping and joining in my blog. Will be back to discover more...
Thanks for dropping by my blog :).Glad to follow you..
I love capsicum and add it to rice and noodles most of the times with other veggies.Love this rice.Bookmarked your version.
Colorful rice..Glad to follow ur blog 🙂
Thanx for stopping by my space n leading to urs..Lovely n flavorful one pot meal
Hello dear! Greetings from Malaysia.
Thanks for stopping by my space and for the compliments via email. Glad to know abt you and yout yummy blog!
I seldom make one pot meal and this recipe of yours is sure to try 🙂
Very Nice and yummy dear... I am new to your place and happy to follow you. Do visit my place some time...
I'm pleased to pass on the Leibster award to you... please pick it up.
Sona - Quick Picks
lovley recipe...nice clicks...happily following ur space..do drop by mine as well..