One of the restaurant’s hallmarks recipe turned into a healthy, quick homemade dinner that everyone enjoys. This egg fried rice Indian style recipe which is quick and simple, you pat yourself with joy. Made fresh with eggs, rice, cabbage, carrot, green pepper.
This is egg fried rice is an easy and straightforward recipe to make with the left-over rice. A great tailor-made recipe for the busy weeknight dinners. The entire dish can be made under 20 minutes. We will discuss more the make-ahead ideas, serving ideas and more customizations and variations.
Have you ever attempted a culinary experiment? like recreating a restaurant style dish in your cozy kitchen? No worries, I can answer on your behalf. If you have here, landed on this page and reading this. Then I know, your answer would be a big YES to my question.
This egg fried rice is the Chinese recipe but slightly modified to suit the Indian palates. Not to mention that this is tasty with loads of vegetables. therefore it is loved by everyone.
When it comes to the weeknight dinner menu, I make sure that it must be healthy and straightforward like this Asian cabbage salad, spring dosa, madras lentils, and Szechuan Fried rice. Additionally, my family wants in this friendly way. So it is easy for me to make them and also their tummy happy.
Today's recipe is stellar when you have leftover rice that is refrigerated. Even if you do not have, make rice more and save some exclusively for making this dish. This makes the cooking a lot easy and quick. Where you do not need to tire yourself in the kitchen when you have already exhausted on the whole day.
A perfect wholesome recipe which nicely suits up to the lunch boxes. Paneer Manchurian or this Chinese green bean would be the rich pair. The step and procedures are simple and straight forward, fits even for the beginners. If you have refrigerated white rice and eggs, you are perfect to go. Add some vegetables, your healthy dinner is ready in minutes.
Egg fried rice Indo Chinese version is outstanding, and I'm publicly thanking the vegetable in there. And these vegetables plays a dual role as the sole taste booster and the flavoring agent. No need to add extra spices or tastemakers in this recipe, which is why it is nutritious and wholesome.
What is Egg fried rice?
A popular Chinese recipe, made with stir-fried eggs and rice. White rice and egg are the base and literally, you can add in there anything. Like, add in more vegetables and make vegetable egg fried rice. Customize to your preference and explore more about the combinations.
Why Egg fried rice? the positive factors
- This is perfect to suit all the age groups, including the kids.
- Can be made ahead of time. To precise, half of the process can be made in advance to minimize the last-minute hassles.
- Suitable to serve for a large crowd, party or potluck.
How does Indian egg fried rice recipe taste like?
This tastes humble, with fresh vegetables. You could feel the real fresh vegetables individual taste and the hint of black pepper. The pungent flavor of the eggs is neutralized with the green pepper’s aroma.
Make ahead and Storing Ideas
- You may cook the rice and keep refrigerated.
- Chop the vegetables and refrigerate or freeze it.
- You may store the left over in the refrigerator in an air sealed container.
- Though you may theoretically freeze the left over, I would not suggest. As the egg fried rice tends to loose its fresh flavor once frozen.
Possible variation of various diet
This is naturally vegetarian, clean eating, real food.
Vegan. Skip the eggs or swap with soft tofu. Press the water out of the tofu and add when eggs are added in this recipe.
Whole 30, Paleo, Keto. You may find a healthier option to replace white rice with cauliflower rice.
Healthy diet. The perfect option is to substitute white rice with brown rice or quinoa.
Fried rice twists
- Add cooked chicken, cut them into small bite size pieces before adding. And, keep all the instructions same and add chicken.
- Cooked shrimp is also an exciting addition to this recipe.
- You may include any vegetable according to your choice and availability.
- You can also make this fried rice only with the eggs and without vegetables. This version also tastes great.
- Instead of white rice, try substituting with brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with cilantro or mint leaves. Each addition brings out a whole new flavor and taste.
Key ingredients and their substitutions
Rice. Traditionally egg fried rice is made with sticky rice. But getting them may not be possible for every one, including me. Today I made with long grain rice, which I use always. If you like, you may opt for the grain which you prefer. Refrigerate it for at least 3 hours for best results.
Fresh vegetables. I use the combo of cabbage, carrot, and green peppers forever. I try to stock them, which comes in handy to make quick dishes. Though you may throw in any vegetables, I would strongly advise you to use firm vegetables like a green bean, carrot, beet, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips. The squashes and watery vegetables will not suit to this dish.
Garlic. Fresh garlic is a must here, even if you do not have fresh garlic at home, I advise you to get one and make. As garlic deepens the aroma, make egg fried rice amusing.
Eggs. This is an absolute game-changer, add not only the protein but blends the rice and vegetable together.
Tips to make rice like a pro
- Rice is the prime ingredient and this egg fried rice taste heaven when proper care is given. Rather than the freshly cooked rice, refrigerated rice gives better results.
- Because warm rice will stick to the pan and becomes mushy when stir-fried.
- Refrigerating for 2-3 hours prior will make the rice chill, thereby makes the grain firm and separate.
- Although the fresh eggs can be added at the final stages of stir-frying, it is always a good practice to add the scrambled eggs.
- Cut the vegetables like small strips in lengthwise. Julian cut vegetables gives a appetizing look.
- You may opt for white pepper instead of the black pepper for the neat look.
How to cook Egg fried rice?
Prepare. Wash and clean the cabbage, carrot and green peppers. Cut them into match stick-thin sizes. Mince garlic.
Egg Scrambles. Keep a pan, add a teaspoon of cooking oil and egg. In medium flame, whisk until it turns into soft scrambles.
Stir fry. In a large pan, add cooking oil and garlic. When it changes its color slightly, add cabbage carrot, and green peppers. Stir fry on high flame. Once the vegetables change their color mildly, add rice and stir fry for 3 more minutes.
Add eggs and garnish. Finally add eggs and garnish with green onion.
Serve. Serve with cabbage Manchurian or tomato ketchup.
Other rice recipes you may like,
Egg fried rice
For the egg
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
for making the rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 cup rice cooked and refrigerated
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup carrot Julienne cut
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper Julienne cut
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 2 tbsp green onion chopped for garnishing
For making the egg
- In a pan add a teaspoon of vegetable oil and egg.
- Whisk until it becomes soft scrambles. Transfer and keep aside
For making the rice
- On the same pan, add oil and minced garlic.
- Saute until garlic fragrant.
- Add cabbage, carrot and green bell pepper.
- On high flame, stir fry them until they are half cooked
- Then add rice and toss them until all combined.
- Now add scrambled egg and toss for a minute.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve hot.
- Make egg scrambles first or in a separate pan.
- Use cool cooked rice for stir-frying.
- Refrigerated rice gives better results.