This dry Gonkura Pachadi can be stored in the refrigerator for a longer time. Having it with rice and gingelly oil is an absolute pleasure.
I just touched the ceiling and came back to the world, when I saw a bunch of Gonkura in our store. I can also forgive my store to have misspelled board as ‘Gangara’. This does not bother my mind because it was busy in arriving at the best solution to utilize it to the core.
I went with the dry version of this Gonkura Pachadi, as it can be a great performer with rice, idly, dosa. Where I can store it for a longer time too in a refrigerator.
How to make gongkura pachadi
1. Pick Gonkura leaves out of its red stalk, clean, wash and drain them well.
2. The next step is to remove the moisture content of the leaves. I kept these leaves on a lined baking tray in the oven in a ‘warm’ or minimum temperature setting until they are soft and tender. Or spread the leaves in cotton cloth, allow them to get dry under the fan.
3. I have taken 1 tsp of mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds, 2 tbsp of the Black gram, 1 tbsp of Bengal gram and 6 red chilies. Adjust your chilies accordingly.
4. Dry roast these ingredients along with asafoetida, till everything becomes golden brown in color. Allow them to cool to room temperature.
5. Grind these cooled ingredients to a fine to the coarse powder, and add the slightly dried gonkura leaves, salt. Just turn on the mixer gently for a few seconds to form coarse leaves, otherwise, it will become a paste consistency.
6. Heat oil in a pan add mustard and wait till it gets splutter followed by urad dhal till becomes golden brown. Add this seasoning to the ground pachadi.
Add this dry gonkura pachadi to steamed rice along with gingelly oil.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal / skinless black gram
- 1 tsp chana dal / split chickpea
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 red chili or as required
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 1 bunch gongura
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
- Over medium heat, in a pan add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, garlic, red chilies, and asafoetida.
- Dry roast these ingredients till everything they beomes golden brown in color. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- In the same pan, add gongura leaves and stir for 1 minute or until it becomes soft. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the blender jar, add dry roasted ingredients and pulse until it becomes a coarse powder.
- To the same blender jar, add the sauteed leaves and salt. Pulse again until it turns to a coarse consistency pachadi.
- Then transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice.
Serve as a side dish along with South Indian food.
Tips and Variations for Gonkura Pachadi Recipe:
Add grated coconut while grinding, if you are making in larget quantity, but it cannot be stored for a longer time.