Beans Poriyal Recipe aka Indian green bean gets cooked easily, blends well with the ingredients added to it. This is the very basic and common recipe in Southern India. And an everyday simple menu.
This is the very basic south Indian beans poriyal recipe. Green Bean Stir Fry is a simple everyday delicious dish.
Like the potato, this green vegetable also goes very well with any variety of rice like Tomato rice, Lemon rice, Sambar, Rasam. It gets cooked easily, blends well with the ingredients added to it.
About this recipe
Adjust the intensity of the spiciness, by increasing or decreasing the number of red chilies added to this recipe. This recipe is perfect to have with rice.
Spring beans (or just "beans"), is a vegetable that we include at least once in a week's time. We keep changing the recipes for beans and this beans South Indian style green bean stir fry is an important recipe which we make quite often in the kitchen.
Green beans are abundantly available at any season. And it is also healthy green vegetables with tons of nutrients. We normally make it just with coconut, cooked dhals.
What is Beans Poriyal?
Poriyal is a Tamil word, which means mildly seasoned vegetable dishes. Usually, the vegetables cooked, seasoned with mustard seeds, and garnished with grated coconut.
Beans are the common word that refers to the green beans or string beans. This Indian green bean recipe is one of the authentic recipes which usually served in the functions and marriages.
How does this green bean poriyal taste like?
This is a simple and straightforward recipe and tastes simple as well. You could taste the green bean's natural taste and flavor with a hint of mustard seeds flavor.
What and how to serve?
This South Indian beans poriyal is best to serve as a side dish. Because of its subtle taste, it tastes great when served with Sambar and rasam.
South Indian meals, consist of rice, and multiple side dishes. This poriyal is one of the side dishes to serve with other food like varuval, kootu, pachadi, etc.
It is a feast menu if we have this beans poriyal as the side dish along with another fry, and a curry.
You may like other spicy stir fry recipes like,
Printable recipe card
Green Bean Stir Fry-Beans Poriyal Recipe
For the seasoning
- 1 tbp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal / skinless black gram
- 2 red chili
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- 2 tablespoon grated coconut
- Over medium heat, in a pan add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Wait until the mustard seeds splutter.
- Then add chopped red chili and curry leaves. Saute them until the red chili slightly changes its color.
- Now stir in water and salt. Bring it to the boil.
- Then add chopped green bean. And cook for 5-7 minutes or until the water gets absorbed by the beans completely. Make sure it should not be either dry or too moist.
- Now add grated coconut and saute for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and transfer a serving bowl and serve with rice.
Serve along with South Indian rice verities.
Tips and Variations:
1. Add cooked Bengal gram or cooked moong dal at the end of the variations.
Liked this everyday simple dish beans poriyal recipe? follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram.
Leave a Reply