These DIY hot pockets, which are homemade from scratch, have NO yeast. This is best to serve as a tea-time snack. The crispy outer crust and spicy potato mix inside make this recipe wonderful. Hot pockets are always everyone's all-time favorite. This hot version is for the people who crave spicy food all the time.
When I made these homemade hot pockets, my honorable judge, my son, gave me an enthusiastic certificate. I very rarely get this type of acknowledgment; I’m honored. Stories apart, make your own hot pockets and let us dig into the recipe now.
Do not forget to check out another recipe for Simple Pan Cake Mix Cookie Recipe here in PepperBowl.
Why should you make these DIY hot pockets?
Readymades have their advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantages are being unable to customize, being unhealthy, and limiting choices. The benefits are they are easy and straightforward to make. And comes in handy whenever necessary.
The DIY hot pockets can overrule the advantages by making them in advance. And use it whenever needed. And you have your list of benefits. So why need to burn your pockets with the readymade ones where you can make your own?
- This is super simple to make.
- The ingredients are pantry-friendly, and I might have got them already on your shelves.
- This is a vegetarian recipe.
- With numerous filling ideas.
- Looking for an easy crust recipe? Look for the following paragraphs.
Hot pocket-filling ideas
The making process of DIY hot pockets may be laborious, but the result is worth making. The filling can be made in many ways. The options are unlimited, and the sky is the limit.
Hot version- Have boiled potato as the base. Add cayenne pepper, paprika, green peas, minced garlic, and cilantro. This is the perfect combination of ingredients, and this filling makes it ideal when serving for potlucks or parties.
Load more healthy ingredients like grated carrots, and shredded cabbage. Make your own hot pockets for a happy treat-for both the cook and the people who eat it.
Creamy version snacking food for the kid's party or the after-school snacking for the children. This filling would be the best choice for my knowledge.
Stuff in mozzarella cheese cheddar cheese with finely chopped broccoli florets. Add in your choice of protein, like chicken, tofu, or paneer.
Vegan Version- Make a vegan filling with vegetables and tofu. Grated carrots, cabbage, peanuts, zucchini, nutritional yeast.
Tips And Variations
- You may use pizza dough for a simple and quick process. You may use the homemade pizza crust or the store-bought one.
- Tortilla wrap is also a good alternative for the no-yeast crust mentioned in this post.
- Use parchment paper as the lining, which makes it easy to bake and for easy handling.
- Use pizza sauce to line the dough before filling. This makes the pockets too delicious.
DIY hot pockets from scratch
Whisk the egg until it becomes fluffy—reserve half of this as we need it later.
Add half of the whisked egg melted butter to a mixing bowl, and whisk again until it becomes frothy.
Now, stir in and add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine and add a little water at a time to make the nonsticky dough(like pizza dough consistency).
Scrap the sides and make it like a big ball. Covered and rest them for 30 min to one hour.
Now divide them into 4 equal-sized balls. Spread them evenly using a rolling pin. Dust it with flour for easy spreading.
Cut them into equal square-shaped sheets using a knife.
Place a small scoop of potato filling on each square. If your dough is dry, brush a little water to make it slightly wet. You can skip this process if your dough is wet enough.
Cover the filling with another unused square sheet. Now use the fork and press them gently and nicely, so that both the sheets stick together. Repeat the process for all the sides of DIY hot pockets.
Gently brush the top surface with egg(which was kept aside before preparing the dough). This egg wash adds a nice golden color to the crust.
At 350 degrees, Bake for 11-13 min, until they become slightly golden brown.
Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool. Now delicious Hot Pockets are ready to be served with hot sauce or tomato ketchup.
Printable recipe card
DIY Hot pockets
For The fillling
- 1 cup potato
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
For the dough
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- Cook potato till it is fork-tender. Peel the skin and mash it without any lumps.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed potato, green peas, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and chopped cilantro.
- Mix until all the ingredients blends well with each other And set aside.
For the dough
- In a mixing bowl, crack open and add egg.
- Whisk until it becomes fluffy. Reserve half of this mixture for brushing the savory cookes later.
- To the remaining half of the egg, add butter. Whisk again for another 2 minutes, until it becomes frothy.
- Then add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine well to make a stiff dough.
- Cover with wet cloth and rest them for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Using rolling pin, roll them evenly and thinly in the flat surface. Dust them with flour, whenever necessary.
- Using a knife, cut them into equal 2-inch square shapes.
- Place a small scoop of potato filling, on each square.
- Cover the filling with another square sheet.
- Use the fork, gently press so that both the sheets stick together.
- Repeat the process for all the sides and for the remaining dough.
- Gently brush the top surface with egg.
- In the lined sheet pan, arrange all the cookies leaving 1-inch space in between them
- In 350 degrees preheated oven, bake for 15 minutes, or until they become golden brown in color.
- Remove it from the oven, and allow it to cool down.
- Enjoy with hot sauce or tomato ketchup.
- Serve as a snack/appetizer.
- It is a crowd pleaser recipe. So for the parties prepare this in advance. Reheat in an oven when required.
I want to share another easy and simple recipe with you: Baked Tortilla Chip Recipe, and Baked Peanuts. Which can be done without much effort?