These DIY hot pockets, which are homemade from the scratch, NO yeast. This is best to serve as the tea-time snack. Crispy outer crust and spicy potato mix inside make this recipe wonderful. Hot pockets are always everyone's all-time favorite. This hot version is for the people who crave spicy food all the time.
When I made this homemade hot pockets, my honorable judge, my son, gave an enthusiastic certificate. I very rarely get this type of acknowledgments, I’m honored. Stories apart, make your own hot pockets, and let us dig into the recipe now.
Do not forget to check out another recipe for Simple Pan Cake Mix Cookie Recipe, here in PepperBowl.
Why you should make this DIY hot pockets?
Readymades have their own advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantages are unable to customize, do not always be healthy, the choices are limited. The advantages are they are easy and simple to make. And comes handy whenever necessary.
The advantages can be overruled by the DIY hot pockets by making them in advance. And use it whenever needed. And you have your own list of advantages. So why need to burn your pockets with the readymade ones, where you can make your own.
- This is super simple to make.
- The ingredients are pantry friendly, which I might have got them already on your shelves.
- This is a vegetarian recipe.
- With numerous filling ideas.
- Looking for the easy crust recipe? look for the following paragraphs.
Hot pocket filling ideas
The making process of DIY hot pockets may be laborious but the result is worth making. The filling can be made in many ways. The options are unlimited and the sky is the limit.
Hot version- Have boiled potato as the base, add in cayenne pepper, paprika, green peas, minced garlic, cilantro. This is the perfect combination of ingredients, and this filling makes it perfect when serving for the potlucks or parties.
Load more healthy ingredients like grated carrot, shredded cabbage. Make your own hot pockets for the happy treat-for both the cook and the people who eat it.
Creamy version-Making snacking food for the kid's party or for the after-school snacking for the children. This filling would be the best choice for my knowledge.
Stuff in mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese with finely chopped broccoli florets. Add in your choice of protein like chicken, tofu, or paneer.
Vegan Version- Make a vegan filling with vegetables and tofu. Grated carrots, cabbage, peanuts, zucchini, nutritional yeast.
Tips And Variations
- You may use pizza dough for a simple and quick process. You may use the homemade pizza crust or the store-bought one.
- Tortilla wrap is also a good alternative for the no yeast crust mentioned in this post.
- Use parchment paper as the lining, which makes it easy for even baking and for easy handling.
- Use pizza sauce to line the dough, before filling. This makes the pockets to delicious.
DIY hot pockets from the scratch
Whisk the egg until it becomes fluffy. Reserve half of this as we need it later in the process.
To a mixing bowl, add half of the whisked egg, melted butter, and whisk again till it becomes frothy.
Now, stir in add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine and add little water at a time to make the nonsticky dough(like pizza dough consistency).
Scrap the sides and make it like a big ball. Covered and rest them for 30 min to one hour.
Now divide them into 4 equal-sized balls. Spread them evenly using a rolling pin. Dust it with flour for easy spreading.
Cut them into equal square-shaped sheets using a knife.
Place a small scoop of potato filling, on each square. If your dough is dry, just brush little water to make them slightly wet. You can also skip this process if your dough is a little wet enough.
Cover the filling with another unused square sheet. Now use the fork, press them gentle and nice, so that both the sheets stick together. Repeat the process for all the sides of DIY hot pockets.
Gently brush the top surface with egg(which was kept aside before preparing the dough). This egg wash adds a nice golden color to the crust.
In 350 degrees Bake for 11-13 min, till they become slightly golden brown in color.
Remove the tray from the oven and let it gets cooled. Now delicious Hot Pockets are ready to be served with hot sauce or tomato ketchup.
Printable recipe card
DIY Hot pockets
For The fillling
For the dough
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- Cook potato till it is fork-tender. Peel the skin and mash it without any lumps.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed potato, green peas, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and chopped cilantro.
- Mix until all the ingredients blends well with each other And set aside.
For the dough
- In a mixing bowl, crack open and add egg.
- Whisk until it becomes fluffy. Reserve half of this mixture for brushing the savory cookes later.
- To the remaining half of the egg, add butter. Whisk again for another 2 minutes, until it becomes frothy.
- Then add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine well to make a stiff dough.
- Cover with wet cloth and rest them for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Using rolling pin, roll them evenly and thinly in the flat surface. Dust them with flour, whenever necessary.
- Using a knife, cut them into equal 2-inch square shapes.
- Place a small scoop of potato filling, on each square.
- Cover the filling with another square sheet.
- Use the fork, gently press so that both the sheets stick together.
- Repeat the process for all the sides and for the remaining dough.
- Gently brush the top surface with egg.
- In the lined sheet pan, arrange all the cookies leaving 1-inch space in between them
- In 350 degrees preheated oven, bake for 15 minutes, or until they become golden brown in color.
- Remove it from the oven, and allow it to cool down.
- Enjoy with hot sauce or tomato ketchup.
- Serve as a snack/appetizer.
- It is a crowd pleaser recipe. So for the parties prepare this in advance. Reheat in an oven when required.
Another easy and simple recipe, I want to share with you is Baked Tortilla Chip Recipe, Baked Peanuts. Which can be done without many efforts?