How to make Hyderabadi Veg biryani? An easy and simple recipe, even beginners can try with guaranteed results. From this recipe, you get spicy, very flavorful and very tasty Biryani. Here we discussed briefly with step by step instructions with clear pictures.
Hyderabadi cuisine known for its rich and flavorful dishes. The most popular dish which loved throughout the world is their biryani recipes, ranging from vegetable dum biryani, chicken dum biryani, mutton(goat) biryani, etc.
What is Dum Biryani? Dum is nothing but the process of cooking. In this method of cooking, the final stages of rice are cooked by sealing the pot and allowing it to get cooked in a slower flame.
For this, veg Hyderabadi biryani recipe, it is good to marinate the vegetables with curd and spices from 2 hours to overnight(refrigerated). The more the marination, the more flavorful it is. Here, I have marinated it for 3 hours and find the vegetables quite absorbed all the spices flavor.
How to make Hyderabadi Veg biryani?
- Slice the onions finely as possible. Fry them in warm cooking oil until it becomes brown and crisp.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the vegetable ingredients, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, and 1 cinnamon stick. Add fried onions also to the bowl.
- Given a gently mix to make the vegetables coated with the masalas
2. Add 1.4 cup of coriander leaves and mint leaves.
3. Gently mix them to get vegetables evenly coated with the masala.
Soak the basmati rice for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain the excess water.
In a wide pot, add water and bring it to boil.
Add the drained basmati rice and the marinated vegetables.
Cook in medium heat, wait till 90% of the water absorbed by the rice(the rice too cooked to 90% at this stage).
Seal the pot with aluminum foil.
Place cast iron pan below the pot and above the stove.
In low heat cook for 10 minutes.
Then wait for another 10 minutes for the soft, tender and flavorful rice.
Hyderabadi veg biryani
For the masala
- 2 onion medium size
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for deep frying
- 11/2 cup mixed vegetables cauliflower, green peas, carrot, beans, potato
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 clove
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 1/2 cup yogurt curd
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup mint leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp salt as required
For the dum biryani
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cup water
For the masala
- Slice the onions finely.
- Fry them in vegetable oil until it becomes brown and crisp. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mixed vegetables, bay leaf, cloves, cinnomon sticks, fried onion, yogurt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, mint leaves, cilantro, and salt.
- Given a gently mix to make the vegetables coated with the spices.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to get marinated.
For the dum biryani
- Soak basmati rice for 10 minutes. Rinse, drain the water, and set aside.
- In a wide pot, add water and bring to boil.
- Add rice and the marinated vegetable.
- Check and adjust the salt.
- Cook in medium heat until 90% of the water absorbed by the rice.
- Seal the pot with aluminum foil.
- Place a cast iron pan below the pot(cast iron pan will be like a sandwich between the pot and the stove.
- In the low heat cook for 10 minutes.
- Wait for another 10 minutes to make the rice infused with all the flavors.
- Open the aluminium foil and serve the biryani with raita.