Idli upma recipe, the best reliable recipe for leftover Idli-the staple South Indian breakfast food. This recipe made in a few minutes and can be served as an evening snack or as breakfast. An instant dish to satisfy hunger tummies. This is a wholesome dish and does not require any side dish.
We make this quite often in our family and sometimes we make extra idlies just to make this idli upma.
Generally, we make this in the evening hours, after tiresome office works.
The spice level is adjusted according to the idly/chutney powder added at the end of the making process.
Pro tips for Idli upma
- The leftover can be fresh/ refrigerated or even frozen.
- Refrigerate leftover idlies in airtight containers. This way it stays fresh for about a week. It is the best practice to store idlies in the refrigerator once they reach room temperature.
- Refrigerated idlies are better for the texture.
- Refrigerated idlies are hard and crystallized, but they need not be thawed for making this recipe.
- But frozen idlies need to be thawed.
- The idlies can be scrambled or diced or can be cut into strips. So cut them to your choice.
- Idli/chutney powder is an important ingredient after idlies.
- But Any leftover chutney like garlic chutney, mango chutney, coriander chutney can also be used.
- The addition of different chutney provides different flavored dishes.
- Need to make the super quick dish? Curry leaves, green chilies are optional and avoid it if you do not have enough time to make.
A hot cup of coffee paired up with this idli upma is the ultimate satisfying dish for anyone to feels hungry after returning home.
How to make Idli Upma:
Place the idlies over the bowl or plate.
Use fork, hand, or masher to make the idlies crumble. Keep it aside.
In a pan add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, add mustard and urad dal.
Allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Add chopped onion. And saute it for a while until the onion turns pink and soft.
Now add curry leaves, split green chilies, Add scrambled idlies and saute it for few minutes until the scrambles become hot.
Now add chutney powder, saute for a minute until the scrambled idlies coated well with the chutney powder.
Serve hot as breakfast or as an evening tea time snack. This idli upma recipe does not require any side dish.
- Place the idlies over the bowl or plate.
- Crumble idlies into small chunks and keep it aside.
- In a pan add vegetable oil, add black mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
- Add chopped onion. And saute it for a while until the onion turns pink and soft.
- Now add curry leaves, stilted green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add scrambled idlies and saute it for few minutes until the idli crumbles becomes hot.
- Now add chutney powder, saute for a minute until the crumbles coated well with the chutney powder.
- Serve Idli upma recipe hot as breakfast or as evening teatime snack.