Instant Tomato Chutney, super spicy. It can be made in less than 15 minutes. Perfect for a side dish any Indian dishes, can be a great spicy dip for any appetizers.
Are you searching for chutneys that can pair excellently well with Dosa and Idly, that can be prepared in jiffy minutes? This Instant tomato chutney will top, out of long-listed.
When returning home at the midnight, after some long tiring journey, after trying out various food outside.. coming back home.. and gobbling this with dosa....yummmy...these are the moments to enjoy.
If the tomatoes are ripening and sour, it's a double delight. But if the tomatoes are hard and bland, then add little tamarind to compensate the sourness, but this is completely optional. One more optional ingredient in this recipe is Gingelly oil, add this would boost the flavor. But substituting it with regular cooking oil would also bring out good results.
This tomato chutney is versatile, I love to spread this chutney as a layer while making veggie bread sandwiches. My mom adds leftover tomato chutney to the Kuzhambu she makes, which has got excellent proven results.
How to make instant tomato chutney
1. Wash and clean tomato. Peel and wash onion. Take red chilies to the amount you can bear the heat with and adjust it accordingly. I normally go for 3 red chilies. If the tomatoes are ripening and sour, the best would be the results. And cut them into big chunks, so that it is easier for grinding.
2. In the mixer/Grinder grind tomato, onion, red chilies along with the required amount of salt. No need to add water, as the tomato itself brings the consistency of the chutney. Grind it till it becomes the smooth paste.
3. In a small pan, add gingelly oil or any cooking oil of your choice. And temper mustard seeds, urad dal. Once mustard seeds start crackling, add curry leaves.
When curry leaves slightly changes its color, add this hot tempering onto the ground chutney. Let's enjoy the sizzling sound it makes. Serve instant Tomato Chutney with Idly, dosa. I can also give you a one more fabulous idea of using this chutney as a base for making bread sandwiches.
Instant Tomato Chutney
For the base
- 1 cup tomato roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onion roughly chopped
- 2 red chili
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
For the seasoning
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- To the blender jar, add tomato, onion, red chili, and salt.
- Pulse until it becomes smooth and silky consistency. Transfer to the serving dish and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place a small pan. And add sesame oil, black mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves.
- Allow the mustard seeds to crackle. And add this sizzling seasoning to the chutney.
- Serve as a condiment for South Indian breakfast.
Tips and Variations for instant tomato chutney:
Saute the ground mixture for a while in the seasoning oil, to remove the strong flavors of onion and red chilies.Give it a try with Peerkangai Thol Thuvaiyal, Poondu Chutney.