Instant vermicelli idli, is a rescue recipe if your refrigerator runs out of Idli batter. This recipe yields very soft and spongy Idli that can be made with less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Idli and I have strong bondage, where we are inseparable. I have grown up eating these all the time. Even now I'm clueless, which factor made me a huge dependent on this dish. Maybe its spongy texture, or the taste or the condiments served along with, I really do not know the reason.
This instant Vermicelli Idli recipe, a true super quick dish. Apart from vermicelli, the other two ingredients important for this recipe is curd and fruit salt. Curd gives the sourness and acts as a binding agent, While fruit salt enhances the batter for very soft and fluffy Idli.
How to Make Vermicelli idli
1. Take a cup of vermicelli, and have.
Hint: If you have long vermicelli, Using hand break them into one-inch size.
2. In a bowl add vermicelli, rava, curd, salt.
3. Combine them well and keep it aside for about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat pan with a teaspoon of cooking oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, and Bengal gram.
5. Once mustard seeds start crackling, add asafoetida and chopped curry leaves. Stir until asafoetida sizzles in the oil.
Hint: Remove it from the fire, before asafoetida turns brown.
6. Add the tempering to the vermicelli mixture. Add fruit salt just before making Idlies.
Hint: The batter starts bubbling while fruit salt is added. Gently combine the salt with batter.
7. In the Idli pot, pour the batter evenly into each mold. Steam for about 5-10 mins.
Hint: I'm using a conventional cloth method, it is easier to unmold them even it is still hot. But can also be made with brushing up with oil to the molds.
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 1/2 cup semolina /sooji/ rava
- 1 cup yogurt / curd
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
- 1/2 tsp fruit salt Eno salt
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1 tsp chana dal /split chickpea
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp curry leaves chopped
- Take a cup of vermicelli, and have.
- In a bowl add vermicelli, semolina(Rava), yogurt, and salt.
- Combine them well and keep it aside for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat pan with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, and chana dal.
- Once black mustard seeds start cracking, add asafoetida and chopped curry leaves. Stir until asafoetida sizzles in oil.
- Add the tempering to the vermicelli mixture. Add fruit salt just before making Idlies.
- In the Idli pot, pour the batter evenly into each mold. Steam for about 5-10 mins.
Serving Suggestions For Instant Vermicelli Idli
1. Serve for breakfast, dinner or as evening teatime companion.
2. Serve with coriander chutney, coconut chutney or with sambar.
Tips and Variations vermicelli idli
1. Adding cashews, peanuts, coriander leaves are optional, but they make the dish more aromatic and rich.
2. If you do not have Idli pot and molds, then steam in small cups. Just coat the inner surface of the cup with oil before pouring the batter.