Kosambari or kosumalli is a traditional Indian salad recipe. And it will be served on important festive occasions. One of the healthy Indian raw food recipe, which is made with cucumber, moong dal, onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and green chili.
It is one of the most important dishes to be served in marriages. Protein-rich wholesome salad, good for all ages.
I'm always a big fan of all salad, and this kosambari, cucumber salad Indian style recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals but also packed with a huge amount of proteins. The recipe requires raw lentils/moong dal to be added. But semi-cooked lentils can also be added if you don't prefer the raw smell.
I love to fill my plate with the other easy to make salads like Baby Carrot Salad, Spicy broccoli Crunchy Salad, Fresh Cantaloupe Salad. I often make this type of raw food dishes and relish myself.
What is Kosambari?
Kosambari is the regional name given for the cucumber salad made with lentil. This is a very popular dish in the state of Karnataka, in Tamil Nadu. This is also called as Kosumalli.
Both are the same and refers to the same dish. But this term is popular in Karnataka and the term 'Kosumalli' is popular in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Generally, this dish is made with cucumber and pulses.
How do this kosambari tastes like?
Cucumber plays a predominant role in the salad. This recipe is the blend of all tastes, the whole salad tastes cucumber which coated with the seasoning of mustard seeds and asafoetida.
The moong dal wonderfully blended with the cucumber and its flavor plays subtly in this recipe. You feel the cucumber with the hint of curry leaves and coriander leaves flavor.
Why you should make this?
You should make this Indian vegetable salad recipe as,
- It is easy and simple to make.
- It is healthy, packed with nutrients and protein.
- Kosambari is versatile, serve this as a salad or side dish
- Very cost-effective, when cucumber is in season, the cost of making goes down multiple times.
- It needs lesser preparation time, which is less than 15 minutes, which is an awesome factor?
Serving Suggestions for Kosambari
Serve this cucumber Indian Salad as an evening snack or as a side dish. This is a cool and refreshing salad. And this yellow moong dal salad is great when served with a spicy main dish. Tomato rice, capsicum rice, peas pulao, Instant pot vegetable pulav, mint pulav or coriander rice.
Variations for Traditional Indian Salad
Once you made and tasted this refreshing, I'm sure that you would desperately explore this kosambari more and more with new modifications and customizations. Following list helps you to serve with,
- Swap split moong dal with soaked split chickpea or peanuts. This swap makes the salad to a huge difference in the taste.
- You can make this with or without seasoning the mustard seeds.
- Instead of grated coconut, you may also add coconut slices. This acts as a nice crunch element.
- You may also skip using the coconut totally, it is up to you to decide the coconut, as it does not affect the taste or texture of the kosambari hugely.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice, if you prefer to add a nice kick.
- Have a fresh mint at home? throw few leaves. Chop them finely and combine them well. The mint boost up the flavor compatible with the basic South Indian vegetable salad.
- Instead of using the cooking oil for seasoning, you may use coconut oil. This gives a whole new flavor to the dish.
Other recipes you may like,
Printable recipe card
- ¼ cup moong dal / split moong bean
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 green Chili / serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoon coriander Leaves /cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoon grated Coconut
- ½ tso salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal / skinless black gram
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida
- In a bowl, soak moong dal for about 2 hours. The dal must have been doubled its size now, drain and keep aside.
- Finely chop cucumber, onion, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, add drained moong dal, finely chopped cucumber, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and salt.
- Heat oil in the pan, add black mustard seeds, urad dal, and asafoetida.
- Allow mustard seeds to get splutter and asafoetida to sizzle.
- Add this seasoning to the vegetable mixture.
- And tansfer this kosambari to the serving bowl.
2. Serve them like salad along with your lunch or dinner food.
Do not miss latest recipes and its tips, Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Leave a Reply