This Lemon Poha recipe is a great breakfast recipe that gives a full feeling and can also be served in the evening for the kids who return home hungry after the school hours.
Thinking about an easiest yet delightful breakfast for the busy morning schedule, then Lemon / Neembu Poha can be one of your choices. Another catchy positive factor of lemon aval is, this is a ‘feel fuller’ breakfast.
There are many varieties of aval is available in the market. So the soaking period varies accordingly. Soaking has to be perfectly done. Over soaked and under soaked can give the worst results.
Then how to know it is perfectly soaked? It has to be mashed when trying to mash them in between the fingers. The second factor in determining a perfectly soaked is, it has to retain its shape and structure when squeezed out the excess water.
If you are deciding this recipe in the last for the breakfast, then soak aval in warm water for about 10 min. This can also give the same result as above.
How to make Lemon poha
Soak poha/aval/beaten rice for about 20 min. Drain and squeeze out the excess water. Soaking time varies for every type of aval. So decide it accordingly.
So, check it in between as over soaked aval would lead to a mushy dish. The squeezed out aval should retain its shape and structure but very soft and moist.
In the medium flame, heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds followed by urad dal, cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chilies, and curry leaves. Wait till mustard splutters, urad dal becomes golden brown.
Reduce the flame to the maximum and add lemon juice and turmeric powder and saute it for a minute.
Immediately add salt and the squeezed out aval. Otherwise, lemon juice can turn bitter and turmeric powder would get burnt.
In the medium flame, gently saute the aval mixture for another couple of min till the aval gets completely turns yellow and coated with lemon juice. Make sure at every point, the aval should not turn mushy.
Serve preferably with coconut chutney.
Lemon Poha recipe
- 1 cup poha/beaten rice / aval-soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 2 red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbps lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or as required
- Soak poha/aval/beaten rice for about 20 min. Drain and squeeze out the excess water.
- Over medium heat, in the pan add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chilies, and curry leaves.
- Wait till mustard splutters, urad dal becomes golden brown.
- Now add lemon juice, turmeric powder, poha, and salt.
- Then gently saute this mixture for another 2 mimnutes or until the poha is coated evenly with the turmeric powder.
- Serve hot with pickles.
Tips and Variations for Lemon Poha Recipe:
Add peanuts or broken cashew to add more crunchiness.