The warm bright color and warm spices of Lemon Semiya are sure to start the day with the Zing. Ingredients can be adjusted to suits everyone's taste buds. This recipe is very easy and simple to prepare and best for morning busy time.
The important aspect of South Indian cooking is, the ingredients can be adjusted according to everyone's taste. This recipe is perfect for South Indian taste buds, others please adjust accordingly. It is easy and simple to make. Unlike noodles, vermicelli are thinner and great in texture. I would say, it is in between, noodles and pasta. I love this recipe because of its evenly coated warm spiciness.
Worrying about the proportion of water, no need as we are going to drain the excess water. To add extra crunchiness, add Bengal gram/Channa Dal, Roasted Peanuts, but these are optional.
- 1 cup vermicelli / semiya
- 1 tsp vegetable oil for frying vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the seasoning
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal / skinless black gram
- 1 red chili
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- Over medium heat, place a pan, and add vegetable oil and vermicelli.
- Roast it until vermicelli changes to golden brown in color. Set aside.
- In the same pan add water and salt. Bring it to boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and cook it till 3/4th is done.
- Drain excess water and spread it on the plate(otherwise the vermicelli would become sticky), allow it to cool to the room temperature. And set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili, chopped ginger, and curry leaves.
- Wait until the mustard seeds splutter.
- Turn the heat to low, and add lemon juice, turmeric powder, and ghee.
- Now toss cooked vermicelli and saute gently for 2 minutes in medium heat.
- And serve hot with pickles.
Serve as a breakfast or as brunch along with tomato sauce or pickles.
Add grated carrots, green peas for adding a color to this lemon semiya.