Spicy puffed rice is a crispy and spicy snack. I love to have a bowl of this spicy puffed rice by my side when I watch horror or thrilling movies at home. This is an Indian puffed rice snack that keeps you from taking a break from your daily chores. I'm telling you, you will be out of the world for sure. 🙂
This masala spiced puffed rice is an excellent, nongreasy evening snack and can be prepared in minutes. This is the essential preparation and can be customized to everyone's taste.
Searching for other munchies with a punch of masala? Try this mini murukku.
About this spicy puffed rice
This is an Indian spiced puffed rice snack made with mild spices. This is the savory version of Rice Krispies.
Moreover, this is a low-calorie filling snack for the outside world, one of India's less-known traditional foods and dishes. Contradictally very famous street food in Bengal and as well as in South India.
What do people eat for breakfast in India? Well, it varies according to the region. But this puffed rice is considered a breakfast in Eastern India. This puffed rice is similar to 'Bengali Jhal Muri,' also called ‘Spicy Murmura'(Spicy Puffed Rice) in other northern and western parts of India.
This is one of my favorite Indian snacks, which I stock in my pantry. This spicy masala puffed rice recipe is versatile; it serves as a quick snack. I throw this as a topping for my salad or soup.
I eat a handful of puffed rice whenever I feel hungry in between my meals. This recent find from my old recipe book solves my evening craving.
How does this taste like?
This spicy puffed rice recipe-Indian style is crisp with the dominant flavor of turmeric and garlic. Which smells and gives the pleasure of munching like popcorn. If you want a Friday movie night snack, this is for you.
Or pack this for the long driving, which helps me feel that I’m not stuffing my stomach with junk food. I will create another post to discuss what I pack for the long travels.
This is the base recipe and has tonnes of possibilities to convert to various dishes. These are some of my recommendations; you can go beyond these.
- Add roasted peanuts, an attractive addition that adds texture, color, and taste. And to view this from the health point of view, it also adds up the proper amount of protein.
- Add roasted chickpea/chutney dal; this is the authentic add-on for spicy puffed rice. I still remember we all have been served pori(puffed rice) with roasted chickpeas. I do not know why it is not in the habit anymore. Is it because the flavor of roasted chickpea’s character is strong? I do not know, but recently, this has been swapped with roasted peanuts. These are good also, so no complaints.
- Add grated vegetables like carrots, cabbage, cucumber, onion, etc. Toss them together and serve immediately. These are the healthy variations and this way, I make them when I’m preparing a full-fledged evening snack.
- Serve this as a self-sufficient munching snack.
- When serving with finely chopped vegetables, you must act immediately because the puffed rice absorbs moisture and becomes soggy more quickly than expected.
- Mixing with nuts is a nutrient-rich option for serving this spicy puffed rice. This addition makes it drool-worthy, healthy, and a filling snack.
- To make a fruit salad, add this spicy garlic puffed rice as a crispy topping: the texture and taste complement the fruits well.
- Are you searching for a delicious salad topping? Add these as the top layer in your salad and expect pleasing results.
Printable recipe card
Spicy puffed rice
- In a wok add vegetable oil, crushed garlic, and curry leaves.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add turmeric powder, puffed rice, and salt.
- In medium heat, toss for 4 minutes until the puffed rice coated with masala and becomes crispy.
- Serve immediately or store in air tight container.
- Serve as a tea time snack, add chopped cucumber, tomatoes or shredded cabbage finally to make this snack more healthy.
- Test for the crispiness of the puffed rice before stirring. If it is not crispy, stir them in the hot pan for a couple of minutes, by stirring them constantly.