Mashed chickpea salad, is a satisfying and most comfortable recipe. That has become one of my favorite recipes now.
This is the most one of the easy and most versatile recipes that can transform into any form. This can be modified into a healthy stuffing for your sandwich, wrap. Or can be served as a guilt-free and gluten-free dip for an appetizer.
It made with most vibrant ingredients. Yes, it is made with all the garden-fresh vegetables. And it is springtime, you will get a variety of vegetables perfect for this mashed chickpea salad.
I made my mashed chickpea salad with cucumbers, celery, carrot, tomato, and onion. But you may add any vegetable that is available to you. You may throw in avocado, or asparagus or beets or any other vegetables.
Want to sit back and relax? serve this salad as a wrap. Without compromising on the taste or healthy facts. A guilt-free salad recipe is a simple and straight forward dish. Enjoy this dish without worrying about the calorie and the fat.
Why I prefer mashed chickpea salad?
Spring brings all the vibrant vegetables to the market. And I cannot stop myself grabbing all the vegetables by looking at its freshness. Buying all the vegetables does not mean that I'm going to spend my entire day in the kitchen to cook and clean.
Another factor I was diving into vegetables is that I really want to shed my winter pounds.
I do not really want to stuff myself more weight with unwanted fatty food. And was looking out for interesting and simple recipes where I could use vegetables to make my dish skinny. Finally, I found this mashed chickpea salad recipe which is nearer to my heart.
Other chickpea recipes you may like,
This mashed chickpea salad is another solution to today's problem.
I started making wholesome healthy salads which I want to feel full and also healthy. Which could provide me all the nutrients I want for the day.
So that I can munch on and on until I feel full. I do not want to stuff my tummy with other stuff which tends to increase my weight.
A great advantage, having this is a basic ingredient you can make your number of other recipes. Give your regular dish a makeover with smashed chickpea salad. And create a more refreshing experience for everyone.
Chickpea also called garbanzo beans which are available in all the stores. It is a great source of protein, good for all ages. Make this for parties or for a large crowd with the most refreshing ingredients. Perfect on the go food for summer with wrap or sandwich.
How to make mashed chickpea salad
Mash the chickpeas. Chickpea need not be crushed smoothly. It can be coarse with visible chunks.
Combine. In a bowl, add finely chopped onion, tomato, carrot, cucumber, lemon juice, salt. Combine them well until all the ingredients blend with each other.
Store. Store the leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator. And it is good to use for a couple of days.
- Soak the chickpea for 8 hours, if you are using dry chickpeas. Then cook them until soft.
- If you are using the pressure cooker, cook it in medium flame for 15 minutes.
- If you are using Instant pot, cook it in manual timer for 15 minutes.
- And if you are using the slow cooker, no need for soaking. Add chickpea and 2.5 times water with salt. Let it cook for 4 hours and until it gets cooked soft when touched.
- You may also use canned garbanzo beans otherwise also called chickpeas.
Variations for this mashed chickpea salad:
- I have added fresh vegetables like onion, tomato, carrot, cucumber. You may add any vegetables that are available at the moment of making.
- You may add mustard sauce to enhance with a punch.
- I have not added Tahini sauce, mayo, or any cheese to make it low calorie as far as possible. But add if you prefer.
- Believe me, this Mashed chickpea salad tasted really good. But you may add cheese or sour cream if your personal calorie chart permits.
- You may add greek yogurt to make it creamy and rich.
Other salad recipes
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 11/2 cup cooked chickpea /15oz garbanzo can
- 1/4 cup onion or celery
- 1/4 cup cucumber
- 1/4 cup tomato
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt /adjust the salt for canned chickpea
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked chickpea.
- Mash it until it becomes coarse.
- Add chopped onion, cucumber, carrot, tomato, salt, and lime juice.
- Mix it well.
- Serve warm or cold.