This Methi Biryani yields a spicy, flavorful, nutrient-rich Biryani. Very easier to make and explained in step by step pictures and detailed instructions.
Have you ever wondered what to do with Methi leaves other than making Kootu or Dal? This Methi Biryani is one such inspiring recipe, where you can use them alternatively. After trying this, I'm sure you buy more to make this Biryani regularly.
It is the springtime here, and our grocery stores are loaded with plenty of greens at cheaper rates. Obviously, my hands dropped a few more bunches into the basket. In the same week back to back, I cannot make methi kootu, methi poriyal for my fussy eaters.
I have a formula like more ingredients at a home=new recipe from the kitchen. These are the simple factors behind today's Methi Biryani. Needless to say here, that it was appreciated by everyone like one I have with Soya Chunk Biryani. And asked me to fetch more green bunches from the store next time.
All the secret of this Methi Biryani is to get basmati rice gets cooked perfectly and the amount of the leaves. For getting perfectly cooked rice, soak the rice for 20 minutes, rinse gently with the running water.
Bring water to boil. Add the rice, cook it in high flame for 7 minutes or until the grains doubled its size and with 15% of water remaining. Now close the lid and cook it on simmer flame for 10-12 minutes.
I like the grains to be firmer. If you wish to have softer rice grains, allow it 2 minutes more in the low flame.
How to make
1. Heat butter and cooking oil in the pan, when butter melts add cinnamon, cloves cardamom, When it turns golden brown, add chopped onion and continue to saute till it turns soft.
Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and stir until the tomatoes are mushy.
2. Discard the stems and wash and clean methi leaves. Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes and rinse it the water gently, strain and keep aside. Chopping the methi leaves is not necessary, as the leaves itself are very small in size.
3. Add methi leaves and continue to cook until the methi leaves slightly blends with the mixture. Add chili powder, Coriander Powder, Garam masala for a minute.
4. Add curd and saute gently, take care of the methi leaves(It should not turn mushy).
5. Add 2 cups of water, salt, and lemon juice, bring it to a boil. Adjust the salt and the sourness here. Add the kept aside rice and allow it to cook on the higher flame until the grains doubled its size and with 15% of the remaining water. Close the lid and turn the flame to simmer. Continue to cook for 12-15 minutes.
6. Remove it from the fire and enjoy Methi Biryani with Cucumber Raitha.
Other rice recipes,
Printable recipe card
- 1 cup basmati rice soaked for 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tomato
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup methi leaves / fenugreek leaves
- ½ cup yogurt /curd
- 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes and rinse, drain and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place a wide pot, add butter and vegetable oil.
- To this add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. And allow it to turn golden brown in color.
- Add chopped onion and saute till it turns soft and tender.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute. Then add chopped tomatoes and stir until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add methi leaves, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- Saute for a minute without burning.
- Stir in yogurt, water, salt, and lemon juice. And bring it to boil over medium-high heat.
- Adjust the salt now if needed.
- Add drained rice.
- And cook until the grains doubled its size and with 15% of remaining water.
- Seal the pot with a lid. And cook for 9-10 minutes in low heat.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita.
Serve along with onion, cucumber raitha. Masala fried potatoes would suit best with this biryani.
Tips and Variations for Methi Biryani:
Strick to the number of methi leaves, as the amount could lead to bitter taste.
If you wish to add a little more sourness to the dish, then add lemon juice.
Do not forget to look into other easy recipes like Capsicum Rice.
Do not miss the latest recipes and its tips, Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
Briyani with methi leaves, something i would like to give a try definitely.
I prefer methi over spinach anytime, looks delicious.
zouhair fiorino najjar
Hi Awesome recipe..I love Biryani and use Basmati rice daily....Unfortunately we do not know or have Methi leaves as well as curd...Is there any suggestion to replace those Ingredients???Many thanks
That is great to hear. If methi leaves are not available, substitute with any vegetable like, cauliflower, peas, potato carrot. The other name for curd is yogurt. I guess yogurt may be available to you. Curd/yogurt acts as a tenderizer, and makes the basmati rice softer. You may also you coconut milk to substitute curd. Hope these helps.
Hello Suja ma,
I made methi kootu with white rice and biryani with Vellarikai thayir pachadi. It was super oh super and I feel like a chef 🙂 Now going to make beetroot poriyal and vendakai sambar. All credits goes to Pepper Bowl. The way ingredients and recipe steps listed makes cooking easy and interesting. Thanks again..!!
It is really wonderful to know the feedback from the real people. Glad the format I'm trying recently feels appeal for you. Continue to support and pass on your valuable feedback or suggestions.