Moong Vadi Curry, in other words, called a protein-packed side dish for roties/chapatis. Moong Daal vadi recipe is one of the top Indian recipes.
Moond daal vadi is the nugget made out of moong daal. These are very versatile and performs well wherever it gets added to.
Moong vadi is sun-dried nuggets made of moong dal/yellow lentil. They are prepared by soaking the dhal and grinding it with spices without any water.
They can be made fresh by steaming or sun-drying them for later use. The recipe for making Moong Vadi is simple, but I went with ready-made vadies.
The basic procedure for making Indian gravy is mostly similar to Paneer Mutter Masala, but they are unique in taste and texture.
If you excel with the basic steps then you can start experimenting with different vegetables, spices, and different proportions.
Fry dried moong vadies in oil on a slow flame till it becomes golden brown. These are very versatile, can be made as a gravy side dish/ semi gravy or the fried ones can be served as appetizers. They blend well to the dishes whichever they get added to.
You might also interested in other side dish recipes like Malai Kofta recipe.
Printable recipe card
Moong Daal Vadi Curry-Mangodi Recipe
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chili /serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
For the curry
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup moong vadi dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- ¼ cup onion finely choppped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 11/2 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 stalk cilantro
- To a blender jar, add tomato, green chili, ginger, and garlic.
- Pulse until it reaches smooth and silky texture. And set aside.
For the curry
- Over medium-low heat, place a pan. Add vegetable oil.
- Once the oil becomes warm, add a batch of moong vadi nuggets and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel and set aside. And fry the remaining batches as well.
- In the same pan and over medium heat, add cumin seeds and black cardamom.
- Wait for 30 seconds or until cumin seeds slightly changes its color.
- Now add chopped onion, and cook until it becomes soft and moist.
- Add ground tomato paste and saute until the mixture becomes thick and the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Next, stir in red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- Now add 11/2 cup of water and salt. And bring it to boil.
- Once the spices got cooked and the curry leaves out raw flavor, add fried moong vadi.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. And serve hot with rice or roti.
How to make: Moong Daal Vadi Curry / Mangodi Recipe
Grind Tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, make a paste out of it and keep it aside.
Over medium heat, place a pan, and add vegetable oil. Once the cooking oil becomes warm, add moong Vadi nuggets and fry till it becomes golden brown. Fry them in batches. Pro tip: Medium to slow fire is most important to get perfectly cooked Mangodies.
Transfer to a plate with the kitchen towel on it. And set aside. Repeat the process for the remaining batches as well.
In the same pan, add cumin seeds and black cardamom. Followed by chopped onion, and saute in medium to a slower flame.
Once the onion turns pink and translucent, add ground tomato paste. Saute until the ginger and garlic become fragrant.
Next add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala. Stir it for a second. Hint: Yes, it is literally a second. Overdoing may turn the masala bitter.
Once the masala is cooked well, add moong vadi. Cook it in medium flame till it leaves out the raw smell and reached the desired consistency.
Garnish Moong Dal Vadi Curry with coriander leaves and serve it with roti, rice or pulao along with a teaspoon of butter.
Tips and Variations:
1. The same recipe can be used to make other vegetables as well.
2. Now adjust with water for the desired consistency.
Serving Suggestions for moong daal vadi:
1. This gravy version to be served along with roti/chapati, steamed rice, vegetable rice, etc.
2. Serve hot, with a blob of butter over it.
Other Side dish recipes you may like,
Like to know more about food? join us through Facebook, Pinterest.
Yummy dish Suja.. Awesome vadi's with such a delicious gravy 🙂
Moong dal vadi curry looks very healthy and yummy.
looks delicious, very healthy and yummy...
i think we dont get daal vadi here.. wish i can prepare it from scratch..
Perfect with roti or chapatti. Delicious.
Thanks for sharing.
Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory)
This looks wonderful, delicious curry!
This recipe is very interesting and easy. Could I used dried moong Vadi to make it.
Yes, you could. I used the store bought dried moong vadi. And it does tastes as the same comparing with the fresh vadi.