Moong Vadi Curry, in other words, called as protein packed side dish for roties/ chapatis. Moong Daal vadi recipe is one of the top Indian recipes. Moond daal vadi are the nuggets made out of moong daal. These are very versatile and performs well wherever it gets added to.
Moong vadi are sun dried nuggets made of moong dal/yellow lentil. They are prepared by soaking the dhal and grinding it with spices without any water. They can be made fresh by steaming or sun drying them for later use. Recipe for making moong vadi is simple, but I went with ready made vadies.
The basic procedure for making Indian gravy is mostly similar like Paneer Mutter Masala, but they are unique in taste and texture. If you excel with the basic steps then you can start experimenting with different vegetables, spices and with different proportions.
Fry dried moong vadies in oil in slower flame till it becomes golden brown. These are very versatile, can be made as a gravy side dish/ semi gravy or the fried ones can be served as appetizers. They blend well to the dishes whichever they get added to.
You might also interested in other side dish recipes like Malai Kofta recipe.
Moong Daal Vadi Curry-Mangodi Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Moong Vadi dried
- 1 Onion medium size
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 stalk Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1 tsp Black Cumin seeds
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
Ingredients For Grinding:
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green chili
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- Grind Tomato, chili, ginger, garlic, make a paste out of it and keep it aside. I’m sorry garlic is not in the picture.
- Chop onion and in medium to slow flame fry nuggets in oil till it becomes golden brown.
- In a pan, add black cumin seeds and black cardamom. Followed by chopped onion.
- Once onion becomes softer add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and fry for a second.
- Add ground and set aside tomato paste with a cup of water. And bring it to boil and add moong vadi as well. Adjust with water for the desired consistency. Cook it in medium flame till it leaves out raw smell and reached desired consistency.
- Garnish Moong Dal Vadi Curry with coriander leaves and serve it with roti, rice or pulao along with a tsp of butter.
How to make: Moong Daal Vadi Curry / Mangodi Recipe
1. Grind Tomato, chili, ginger, garlic, make a paste out of it and keep it aside. (I’m sorry garlic is not in the picture.)2. Chop onion and in medium to slow flame fry nuggets in oil till it becomes golden brown. Hint: Medium to slow fire is most important to get perfectly cooked mangodies.
3. In a pan, add black cumin seeds and black cardamom. Followed by chopped onion, and saute in medium to slower flame.
4. Once onion turns pink and translucent, add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala. Stir it for a second. Hint: Yes, it is literally a second. Overdoing may turn the masala bitter.
5. Add ground tomato paste. Saute it for another couple of seconds. Now add a cup of water. And bring it to boil.
6. Once the masala is cooked well, add moong vadi. Cook it in medium flame till it leaves out the raw smell and reached desired consistency.
6. Garnish Moong Dal Vadi Curry with coriander leaves and serve it with roti, rice or pulao along with a tsp of butter.
Tips and Variations:
1. The same recipe can be used to make other vegetables as well.
2. Now adjust with water for the desired consistency.
Serving Suggestions for moong daal vadi:
1. This gravy version to be served along with roti/chapati, steamed rice, vegetable rice etc.
2. Serve hot, with a blob of butter over it.
Searching for other interesting side dish recipes? try your hands with, Parotta Salna.