Moong Vadi Curry, in other words, is called a protein-packed side dish for roti/chapati. Moong Daal Vadi recipe is one of the top Indian recipes.
Moond daal vadi is a nugget made out of moong daal. These are very versatile and perform well wherever they get added to.
Moong vadi is sun-dried nuggets made of moong dal/yellow lentil. They are prepared by soaking the dhal and grinding it with spices without any water.
They can be made fresh by steaming or sun-drying them for later use. The recipe for making Moong Vadi is simple, but I went with ready-made vadies.
The basic procedure for making Indian gravy is similar to Paneer Mutter Masala, but they are unique in taste and texture.
You can experiment with different vegetables, spices, and proportions if you excel with the basic steps.
Fry dried moong vadi in oil on a slow flame until golden brown. These are versatile and can be made as a gravy side dish/semi-gravy, or the fried ones can be served as appetizers. They blend well into the dishes, whichever they get added to.
You might also be interested in other side dish recipes like the Malai Kofta.
Printable recipe card
Moong Daal Vadi Curry-Mangodi Recipe
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chili /serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- To a blender jar, add tomato, green chili, ginger, and garlic.
- Pulse until it reaches smooth and silky texture. And set aside.
For the curry
- Over medium-low heat, place a pan. Add vegetable oil.
- Once the oil becomes warm, add a batch of moong vadi nuggets and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel and set aside. And fry the remaining batches as well.
- In the same pan and over medium heat, add cumin seeds and black cardamom.
- Wait for 30 seconds or until cumin seeds slightly changes its color.
- Now add chopped onion, and cook until it becomes soft and moist.
- Add ground tomato paste and saute until the mixture becomes thick and the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Next, stir in red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- Now add 11/2 cup of water and salt. And bring it to boil.
- Once the spices got cooked and the curry leaves out raw flavor, add fried moong vadi.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. And serve hot with rice or roti.
How to make: Moong Daal Vadi Curry / Mangodi Recipe
Grind Tomato, green chili, ginger, and garlic, make a paste, and keep it aside.
Over medium heat, place a pan and add vegetable oil. Once the cooking oil is warm, add moong Vadi nuggets and fry until golden brown. Fry them in batches. Pro tip: Medium to slow fire is most important to get perfectly cooked Mangodies.
Transfer to a plate with the kitchen towel on it. And set aside. Repeat the process for the remaining batches as well.
In the same pan, add cumin seeds and black cardamom. Followed by chopped onion, and saute in medium to a slower flame.
Once the onion turns pink and translucent, add ground tomato paste. Saute until the ginger and garlic become fragrant.
Next, add chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Stir it for a second. Hint: Yes, it is a double. Overdoing may turn the masala bitter.
Once the masala is cooked well, add moong vadi. Cook it in medium flame until it leaves the raw smell and reaches the desired consistency.
Garnish Moong Dal Vadi Curry with coriander leaves and serve it with roti, rice or pulao, and a teaspoon of butter.
Tips and Variations:
1. The same recipe can also be used to make other vegetables.
2. Now adjust with water for the desired consistency.
Serving Suggestions for moong daal vadi:
1. This gravy version will be served with roti/chapati, steamed rice, vegetable rice, etc.
2. Serve hot, with a blob of butter over it.