This Oats Upma recipe is very easier to make, which does not consume much of your busy morning timings. Researchers ask to go for fiber rich food for the breakfast, which keeps you active throughout the day. This is one such recipe which gives enough fiber and energy for the remaining day.
Oats Upma can be made in any type of oats whether it is quick, ready made oats or old fashioned
rolled out oats. If you are planning to make upma from quicker oats, then reduce the amount of water from the ingredients list.
Today I went with rolled oats, as I felt it gives out great texture for every bite. Keeping it in the low flame, and stirring occasionally give out best result for the texture and the taste.
Oats Upma-a breakfast recipe under 10 minutes
- 1 Cup Oats old fashioned
- 1 tbsp Onion Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 1 tsp Curry Leaves Chopped
- 2 Green Chili / serrano pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Skinless black gram /urad dal
- Chop onion, ginger, curry leaves and slit the green chilies.
- Dry roast the old fashioned oats in the pan until oats becomes little dry. Once done, transfer it to a plate and keep it aside
- In the same pan, add cooking oil and when the oil becomes hot add mustard seeds followed by urad dal. Wait until mustard seeds splutters.
- Then add chopped onion, and saute till it becomes soft. Then add chopped ginger and stilted green chilies. And continue to saute for a minute
- Then add water and salt. Bring water to boil. Once you started seeing the bubbles in the water, add kept aside oats.
- Cook it for 10 minutes in simmer flame by keeping it covered. Stir occasionally. Once the oats remove it from the stove and serve hot.
1. Serve along with tomato ketchup. pickle, curd, chutney of your choice.
2. Garnish it with coriander leaves gives more flavor to the dish.
Tips and Variations for:
1. Add chopped carrots, peas, cauliflower florets to make this recipe more nutritious.
2. If you feel that the oats are under cooked, sprinkle the little water at a time and cook oats upma by covering the lid.