This Oats Upma recipe is very easier to make, which does not consume much of your busy morning timings. Researchers ask to go for fiber-rich food for the breakfast, which keeps you active throughout the day.
This is one such recipe which gives enough fiber and energy for the remaining day.
Oats Upma can be made in any type of oats whether it is quick, ready-made oats or old fashioned rolled out oats. If you are planning to make upma from quicker oats, then reduce the amount of water from the ingredients list.
Today I went with rolled oats, as I felt it gives out great texture for every bite. Keeping it in the low flame, and stirring occasionally give out the best result for the texture and the taste.
Oats Upma recipe
- 1 cup oats old fashioned
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1 tbsp onion finley chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finley chopped
- 2 green chili / serrano pepper-slited
- 1 tsp curry leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
- Over medium heat, place a pan. Add rolled oats and dry roast for a minute. And set aside.
- In the same pan, add vegetable oil, black mustard, and urad dal. Wait until mustard seeds splutters.
- Then add chopped onion, and saute till it becomes soft. Then add chopped ginger and stilted green chilies. And continue to saute for a minute
- Then add water and salt. Bring water to boil. Once you started seeing the bubbles in the water, add kept aside oats.
- Turn to low heat, cover with a lid and cook it for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot with pickles.
1. Serve along with tomato ketchup. pickle, curd, chutney of your choice.
2. Garnish it with coriander leaves gives more flavor to the dish.
Tips and Variations for:
1. Add chopped carrots, peas, cauliflower florets to make this recipe more nutritious.
2. If you feel that the oats are under cooked, sprinkle the little water at a time and cook oats upma by covering the lid.