This is the basic salna recipe-a spicy side for parotta, a South Indian flaky flatbread. This parotta salna recipe is simple and easy, with guaranteed result. This recipe is ideal for a party, where you can adjust the quantity very quickly, without changing its taste.
Parota salna Recipe is a fusion dish that became popular in recent centuries. I did not know the origin of the term ‘Salna’. But I’m guessing it is derived from the word ‘Salan’ of Mughal cuisine. Coming to this food, this is a thin watery gravy but filled with robust flavors. The perfect ‘salna’ makes our fingers bloom with aroma, even after washing our hands.
The exciting part of the salna recipe for parotta is the texture. Soft and crispy parottas slightly soaked in salna.hmm.yummy. The Guys in our home are very fond of Parotta with this spicy vegetable salna.
There is no strict rules for the recipe. This parotta salna recipe can be prepared in ‘n’ number of ways. The taste and the flavors differ in each restaurant and also differs in each home. The recipe I share here is real simple and easy.
What is Parotta Salna?
This is not an authentic South Indian dish, and this gravy is gaining popularity recently. And this is how it is called regionally in Tamil. It is also called as ‘chalna’. Parotta is actually a layered flaky bread made with all-purpose flour/maida. Salna is a thin spicy gravy. These called together as parotta salna.
How to serve veg salna?
As we have already spoken about parotta salna recipe that, parotta is the main food and the salna is the side dish. Generally, parotta will be served in the plate with a small bowl of salna. But while eating, the salna should be poured over the parotta and should be eaten with hands.
Serve this salna along with a cube of fresh lemon, onion, and green chili.
And this veg salna is good to serve with Idli, dosa also. And can also be served as a sidekick to biryani, pulao or fried rice. The choice is limitless and finds your best one.
You may also check another interesting South Indian recipes like Madurai Chicken Curry.
Variations for Salna recipe
- Looking for chicken salna? nothing to worry. Having the same base, substitute 1 cup of vegetable with 1 cup of chicken. Cut the chicken into small pieces for the great results. Bone-in chicken adds flavor to the salna.
- If you want to make mutton salna, cook the mutton(goat meat) separately. And add into the salna at the final stages.
- You may also make salna without any of these main ingredients like vegetables, chicken or mutton. In this variation, add few mint leaves as the aroma boosters.
How to make Parotta salna:
I have added 1 cup of veggies, like potato, green peas, carrots. But you can also add the choice of your veggies. But make sure that you are adding 1 cup of vegetable, otherwise, the chalna becomes thicker like ‘kurma’.
Prep onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, coconut, chutney dal.
In the high flame, keep a pan and add 1 tsp of oil to a pan. The continue adding fennel seed, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, ani seed and roast them until they change the color to a golden brown.
Then add chopped onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, till everything becomes soft and tender. And allow them to cool.
Transfer above mixture to the blender and ground it to form a fine paste.
Again, In a pan, add curry leaves and roast them in the oil. Why we are adding curry leaves separately is, there is a chance of getting bitterness if we ground it as raw.
Then add the ground paste with red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, the vegetables, and salt.
Allow to boil for five minutes and cook in the simmer flame 20 minutes. Cooking in the slow flames makes the flavors evolve beautifully.
Serve Vegetable Parotta salna with crispy and soft parottas, raw onion and lemon.
- 1 Cup Potato, carrot, green peas Chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tbsp Grated Ginger
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Chutney Dal
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Cardamon
- 1 Ani seed
- In the high flame, add 1 tsp of oil to a pan followed by fennel seed, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, ani seed and roast them.
- Then add chopped onion, tomato, ginger, garlic , till everything becomes soft and tender. And allow them to cool.
- Transfer above mixture to the blender and ground it to form a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Again, In a pan, add curry leaves and roast them in the oil.
- Then add the ground paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and, the vegetables.
- Allow it to boil for 5 min and then keep it in simmer for about 15-20 min.
- Serve Vegetable Parota chalna with crispy and soft parottas.
Tips for salna recipe:
- Chutney Dal helps to get a thicker consistency, but it can also be substituted with cashews.
- Adjust water, salt with lemon juice to get the desired quantity without losing its taste n flavor.
- The ingredients may look long, but they are 1 tsp each from your Indian masala box.