Poha Upma Recipe / Aval Upma yields soft and fluffy poha perfect for breakfast. Explained well with step by step pictures.
This Aval upma is made with fresh vegetables and a less spicy version, which suits everyone including the children.
Poha/Aval is beaten rice, which is a common breakfast ingredient across Western India. Though we do not have many recipes for poha. We customized and included it in our menu. This upma is one such fusion recipe.
Poha recipes can be easily made within a few minutes, as it does not require lots of preparation time and cooking time. Poha does get cooked very easily, and no one can go wrong in making them.
Generally, the upma recipe does not require vegetables, but I have added to make this poha upma healthy. Here I have added carrots and green peas. But You may add any vegetable like, potato, green beans, cauliflower, beetroot, turnip, mushroom, etc.,
How to make Poha Upma / Aval Upma:
- The important phase of this recipe is soaking poha.
- As a first step, rinse poha for about 2 times and soak in water for about 10-20 minutes.
- The soaking time differs according to the thickness of the poha.
- The thicker poha takes the longest time to get soaked.
- It took around 20 minutes for me.
- To check, press poha in between your thumb and index fingers. If it is mashed up, it's perfect to cook.
- Please note that it should not turn mushy.
- In medium heat, add a teaspoon of cooking oil followed by the mustard.
- Allow mustard to splutter.
- Then add urad dal.
- When it turns golden brown, add chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Once they turn translucent, add curry leaves and green chilies.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- The perfect soaked poha should mash-up in between your fingers, and at the same time, It should retain its shape.
- Squeeze excess water.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and combine them.
- Set aside until we need it in the final stage.
- Add chopped carrots and green peas. Or any other vegetable you have
- Note: every vegetable varies in their cooking time, so add and cook them accordingly. Here, carrots and green peas need the same cooking time, so I have added it at the same time. For other vegetables like potato, green beans, precook them before adding.
- Saute in medium to low flame, until the vegetables, get cooked.
- Sprinkle/add water to cook the vegetable in between, if necessary.
- Once the vegetables are cooked perfectly, add kept aside poha.
- Stir them, and sprinkle little water.
- Cover the pan with the lid and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until poha becomes fluffier.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Poha upma hot.
- Green chutney, lemon pickle or ketchup would be best to be served with this poha upma.
poha upma-aval upma
- Rinse and soak poha for about 10-20 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess water, add salt and turmeric powder.
- Combine them well and set aside.
- In medium flame, add vegetable oil followed by mustard seeds, urad dal.
- when urad dal becomes golden brown, add chopped onion, curry leaves, and green chili.
- Saute until onion turns translucent.
- Then add chopped mixed vegetables, and cook. Add water if necessary.
- Add set aside poha, sprinkle some water.
- Cover it with a lid and continue to cook for about 10 minutes in low flame.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve poha upma hot with pickles, chutney or ketchup