Potato Cutlet Recipe / Aaloo Tikki is a simple and easy appetizer, the perfect companion, for tea time. It is effortless to make for large gatherings and parties. This recipe yields crispy outside, soft, and moisture-filling inside with many flavors.
The ginger, garlic, and coriander leaves combined to the base give a robust taste and flavor. The soft and moist potato filling and crispy bread crumbs coating add great texture to the cutlets.
Why you should try this recipe?
- It is easier to make with available ingredients at home. (So, no worries about the surprise guests who knock the door within 30 mins from calling).
- If you habitually store boiled potatoes or store-bought potato flakes, you can cut the cooking time by 50%.
- The base can be made well in advance and can be refrigerated for one or two days. And the frying part can be done whenever needed.
- Does not take a longer time for deep frying as we use cooked potatoes. Care should be taken while frying, just to reach a crispier crust.
- Tastes yum with condiments, tomato ketchup, hot sauce, homemade green chutney, sweet chutney, etc.
- The recipe is versatile and can include your favorite spice blends.
How to make Potato Cutlet?
To make potato cutlet recipe, Heat a teaspoon of cooking oil in the pan. Add cumin seeds and allow it to crack. Add chopped onion and saute until it becomes soft and translucent.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute again for couple of seconds. And then add green peas. Hint: If you are using frozen peas thaw it before adding.
Then add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder. Combine them well. Pro tips: If you wish you can add your favorite masala here.
Add hand full of coriander leaves. Mix it and remove it from the fire.
Mash potatoes well. It need not be mashed down completely, it ok to leaves some smaller chunks. Add mashed down potatoes and salt to the green peas mixture. Make smaller lemon sized balls.
In a bowl dilute all purpose flour to water to form running consistency mixture.
Keep three bowls ready. 1st bowl with dry all purpose flour and 2nd bowl with diluted all purpose flour and 3rd bowl with bread crumbs.
Now flatten all the balls by pressing in between your palms.
Take the 1st ball, drop it in the 1st bowl and coat it with the flour. Shook of excessive flour.
Then drop it in the diluted mixture, take it off immediately.
Then drop and coat it in the bread crumbs. Pat the patties to make it even.
In the medium heat deep fry until the crust becomes golden brown and crispy.
Serve it with green chutney and red chutney.
Other appetizer recipes you may like
- Indian cauliflower fry
- Mini naan pizza
- Lentil stuffed peppers
- Biscuits with pancake mix
- Spicy appetizer recipes
Printable recipe card
Potato Cutlet Recipe (Aloo Tikki)
For the filling
- 1 lb boiled potato mashed with no lumps
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ cup green peas
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- ½ cup cilantro /coriander leaves/ chopped
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour / maida for dipping
- ¼ cup all purpose flour /maida for dusting
- ½ cup bread crumbs or as required
- 2 cup vegetable oil for frying
For the filling
- Cook potato until soft. Peel the skin and mash it with no big lumps seen. Set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of vegetable oil in the pan. Add cumin seeds and allow it to sizzle till it turns to golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and saute until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Next stir in ginger garlic paste and saute until fragrant.
- And then add mashed potato, green peas, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and cilantro.
- Stir for a minute in medium flame and combine them well.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool down.
- Make smaller lemon sized balls. And set aside.
- In the kitchen counter, set three mixing bowls for crispy bread coating.
- In the first bowl add ¼ cup all purpose flour for dusting.
- In the second bowl add 4 tablespoon of all purpose flour and water. Combine to a running consistency mixture.
- In the third bowl, add bread crumbs.
- Now flatten a ball by pressing in between your palms.
- And drop it in the 1st bowl and coat it with the flour. Shake gently to getrid of excessive flour.
- Then dip lightly it in the diluted mixture.
- Then drop and coat it in the bread crumbs. Pat the patties to make it even.
- In the medium heat deep fry until the crust becomes golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it with green chutney and red chutney.
Tips and Variations for Potato Cutlet Recipe:
- Add vegetables like green beans, cauliflower, carrot, and beetroot. The proportion of mixed vegetables can be equal to the ratio of potatoes.
- After the potatoes are cooked, remove them immediately from water as the water-soaked potatoes absorb more oil while frying.
- It can be made without adding any masala powders, too.
- Wide varieties of bread crumbs are available in the market. Try adding different flavors.
- I usually buy Panko breadcrumbs, and I feel it is less absorbent of oil than others.
- Serve immediately when it is still piping hot.
- Serve potato cutlet along with green chutney, hot sauce or tomato ketchup. Personally, I feel, tomato ketchup is a good combo.
Tips for making in Non-Indian Kitchen:
- Skip cumin seeds if you do not have them.
- Substitute cilantro with coriander leaves in the ingredient list.