How to make crispy Samosas? it is not difficult anymore. This full proof crispy samosa recipe yields crispy, soft and crunchy texture. And great in taste. A super perfect tea time snack for the evening and on rainy days.
Can be served as an appetizer in a party and for gatherings. You can freeze the leftovers or make ahead, serve whenever needed.
Somosas are liked by everyone irrespective of their race and country. The world loved and removed the tag ‘Indian’ and has been customized to own region. Today’s internet world is loaded with tonnes of recipes for samosa.
But crispy, soft, melting in the mouth recipes are very rare. This crispy samosa recipe never disappointed me, every time it brings all the smiley faces around me.
The potato filling of this crispy samosa recipe is very simple and basic. But highly successful. If you wish, you can also alter and customize the filling. The one and only point to be taken care, the filling should be gently smashed to get an even shape of samosas.
A quick video to show how to make samosas
How to make samosa dough crispy?
- The samosa has to be fried to golden brown. The main secret this crispy samosa recipe relies on frying. But it is very simple if you follow the right direction.
- For the first 2 min fry the samosas in high flame and then reduce the flame between medium and slow flame.
- Continue to fry till the sizzling sound vanishes.
- The too high flame may end up in harder or uncooked shell.
- The temperature of the oil should be maintained in a medium the must for crispy samosa recipe.
How to make best crispy samosa:
How to make the dough for crispy samosa recipe:
- In a large mixing bowl, add maida, cumin seeds, ajwain, salt and cooking oil.
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly with maida. This is the important step to get crispy, flaky crust. How to determine this step has done properly? Test it by holding a handful of flour, the flour has to retain the shape but should collapsed when touched gently.
- Now add water very little by little to form the smooth dough (It requires very less water when compared to a chapathi recipe).
- The dough should be stiff like poori dough.
- Cover it with air tight lid.
- Allow the dough to rest minimum for 30 minutes and I would recommend to allow it to rest for 1 hour.
- These are the basic instructions for crispy samosa recipe.
Potato filling for Samosa:
- This is the second step for crispy samosa recipe.
- In the meantime, we can prepare the filling. Boil potatoes and peas.
- Heat oil in the pan add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds. And then potatoes, peas, Chili Powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder.
- Cook it until it leaves out the raw flavor and mash them completely.
- Allow to come down to the room temperature.
- Make it into small balls of equal size.
How to fold samosa wrapper:
- Third step for crispy samosa recipe, which is easy and not difficult as it looks.
- After one hour, the prepared dough will be more soft and pliable.
- Divide the dough into equal portions.
- Roll out each portion to a thin, flat circles.
- Using knife divide the flat circle into two equal parts.
- And fold it further half again leaving little space as in the picture.
- Brush the sides with water like in the picture of crispy samosa recipe.
- Fold paste both the ends by pressing gently.
- Lift it with the hand like a cone. And stuff with prepared potato filling.
- Slightly stretch one end of the cone. This makes the cone to stand straight.
- Lift the cone and set it to stand by pressing both the sides, so that they stick together.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining dough and filling.
How to fry samosa:
- The secret in crispy samosa recipe rely here upon: frying the samosas perfectly.
- Deep fry the samosa, in the high flame for first 2 min and them medium to slow flame till the sizzling sound and bubbles vanishes in the oil, and the crust becomes crispy and golden brown in color.
- Serve crispy samosa with green chutney, tomato sauce. Having it as a snack with tea time always stands out.
Crispy samosa recipe
Crispy samosa recipe step by step pictures? Learn this easy Punjabi style vegetarian recipe with spicy potato filling and crispy crust. Great to be served with chutney or dip. A super perfect tea time snack.
- 1 Cup Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ajwain / Carom seeds
- 1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
Ingredients For Stuffing:
- 2 Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
- 2 Cups cooking oil for frying
Combine thoroughly maida, cumin seeds, ajwain, cooking oil, salt.
Then add water little at a time and make smooth dough.
Cover the dough with air tight lid. Allow it to rest for one hour.
Prepare the filling for samosa in the meantime.
Heat oil in the pan add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, boiled potatoes, peas, chili Powder, coriander powdre, turmeric powder and salt.
Mash the potatoes and cook until it becomes thick. Allow to cool to the room temperature.
Then make them into small sized balls.
After one hour, divide the dough into equal portions. Roll out each portion to a thin, flat circles.
Use knife and divide the flat circle into two equal parts. And fold it like a cone.
Then add potato ball to the cone and stuff it.
Press and seal the sides.
Repeat the same process with the remaining dough and filling.
In medium to slow flame, deep fry the samosas until the crust becomes crispy.
Serve samosa hot along with ketchup or chutney
Can samosa be baked?
Yes, the samosas can be baked. Follow the same crispy samosa recipe and bake it in 350°F for about 30-45 minutes or until the crust becomes crispy. The result varies only in the texture but the taste remains the same.
Can samosas be frozen?
Yes, the left overs can be frozen. For reheating, you may microwave it. Or you may reheat it in an oven.
Can make crispy samosa in advance?
Yes, it can be made in advance in all the ways. You made ahead of the dough or the filling. Or you may frying them till 80% and fry remaining 20% whenever needed. And this is the most reliable crispy samosa recipe to make in advance.
How to make samosas with wheat flour?
Follow the same method and process of crispy samosa recipe. But substitute maida/all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Samosa with the wheat flour patty also tastes good. But the texture and the taste varies when compared to the one made with maida.
How to make Samosas without potato?
Want to avoid potato filling? try filling with vegetables like carrot, paneer, peas. You may stuff chicken, soya nuggets or minced meat. You can follow the same crispy samosa recipe for filling. Just substitute the potato with paneer, tofu, soya nuggets, chicken, minced meat. These are just a few ideas for substituting potato filling. But incoporate your own ideas.
The side dishes?
Green chutney, sweet chutney, tamarind chutney, tomato ketchup are the perfect pairs.
We hope you got your answers for our question crispy samosa recipe?