Semiya kichadi recipe made in South Indian style with vermicelli and vegetables. Perfect for weekend breakfast or busy weekday dinners! You can find step by step pictures and tips to make it perfect every time.Semiya kichadi is the third recipe before Lemon Semiya and semiya upma. And more vermicelli recipes are coming up soon here.
Wait, I’m hearing your voice. Why are too many vermicelli recipes being published here? Do you want to hear the answer? It is simple because we love its texture and thus making frequently. Not to mention, its unique texture urges us to make it often in my home.
Furthermore, Vermicelli is versatile and can be incorporated into any recipe. The same way semiya kichadi also evolved from the regular kichadi(made with rice).
Next, on the positive side, it is easier to make. All you need is a couple of tips to make them perfect and to become the master for making this recipe.
Tips for making Semiya Kichadi:
- I have used roasted vermicelli for this recipe which is readily available in the market. Surprisingly, roasted vermicelli cuts down preparing time into half.
- If you are using regular vermicelli, fry them in 1 teaspoon of oil for few minutes.
- You need 1:1 ratio of water for any vermicelli recipe and same as here.
- Add vermicelli only after when the water starts boiling. This step avoids being the vermicelli sticky and gooey.
- Simmer and cook it with the lids on until the water completely evaporates, by stirring occasionally.
- By following these steps, you will get them perfect every time you make.
How to Make:
In a pan, add 1 tbsp of cooking oil followed by 1-inch cinnamon stick and two cloves. Wait until they slightly change its color. Then add 1/4th cup chopped onion and fry until they turn translucent.
Then add 1 tbsp chopped garlic and 1 tbsp chopped garlic. Followed by 6 curry leaves and 2 silted green chilies. Fry them until ginger and garlic spread nice aroma in the air.
Then add tomato and chopped vegetables together. Saute for a while until vegetables are 3/4th cooked.
Then add water. Wait for the water the boil, add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of salt. Then add roasted vermicelli.
Bring it to boil, then simmer the flame, and cook it covered for 10-12 minutes or until vermicelli gets cooked completely.
Stir them occasionally to avoid getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
Once semiya gets cooked completely, switch off the flame and transfer to the serving plate.
Tip: If the vermicelli is uncooked and water evaporated completely, then add water and continue to cook by covering the lid.
Serve semiya kichadi along with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.
Semiya kichadi recipe
Semiya kichadi recipe / vegetable semiya upma made in South Indian style. Perfect for weekend breakfast or busy dinners. Explained with step by step pictures and tips.
- 1 Cup vermicelli Roasted / Semiya
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 Cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 3/4 Cup vegetables chopped
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 green chili or serrano pepper/ slited
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required
Heat oil in a pan. Add cinnomon and cloves.
Fry until they change its color and release s aroma in the air.
Add onion and try until they becomes pink.
Now add chopped ginger and chopped garlic. Fry until they releases good aroma in the air.
Then add curry leaves, green chili and fry for a minute.
Then add water and allow it to boil
Then add roasted vermicelli. Then simmer the flame and continue to cover until the vermicelli cooked very well.
Server simiya kichadi with green chutney or tomato ketchup.