This recipe of Soya Chunk Biryani recipe has wholesome flavors and tastes, so raitha or even plain curd has been its best companion.
As everyone knows, soya is a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. Prepare the soya chunks as per the company’s directions. But the general procedure would be cooking it in the boiling water, running into the cold water, draining and squeezing the chunks.
Normally I would go with medium-sized chunks and If I go with larger sizes, then I usually cut them into smaller, as everyone pulls larger sizes out from their plate.
In this Soya Chunk Biryani recipe, I have added a tsp of butter, which could bring out the wholesome round flavor. If you like to make super-rich Biryani, then go ahead and substitute curd with coconut milk.
How to make Soya chunk biryani
1. Soak Basmati rice for about 20 min, in the mean time wash and clean green peas, chop carrots.
2. Chop onion and tomato, make ginger garlic paste, if you have read made ginger garlic paste, you can also use that.
3. Prepare soya chunks are per company’s directions, I boiled it for 10 min. Run through water, drain, squeeze and keep it aside. In a heavy bottomed pan, add butter plus oil, this 1 tsp of butter brings out beautiful wholesome flavor to biryani, but if you are a health freak, you can avoid it from adding.
4. To the oil, add cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Once they became golden brown, add chopped onion, saute till they becomes transulent, in medium flame add ginger, garlic paste..saute for a minute, then add chopped tomato, saute till tomatoes becomes mushy. Add green peas, chopped carrots and squeezed soya chunks.
5. From the earlier step, you might have arrived at thick paste with traces of onion and tomato chunks. Now slower the flame, add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and saute for a minute. The Make sure nothing should get burnt anywhere in this recipe, keep stirring when needed. Add mint, curd and stir if further for another couple of minutes.
6. In high flame, add 3½ cups of water(or as required), add salt and test the taste of the Biryani here. When the water started boiling add washed basmati rice.
Cook it on high flame for 5 minutes and simmer the flame , cover the lid and cook it another 10 minutes.
Serve Soya Chunk Biryani with raitha, hard boiled eggs. This biryani is flavorful and do not require any kurma or gravy.
Soya Chunk Biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ½ cup soy chunks
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1 tsp butter
- 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tomato
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup carrot Chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup yogurt / curd
- 1 stalk mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt or as required
- 4 cup water
- Soak Basmati rice for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare soya chunks are per package's instruction. I boiled it for 10 min. Then run through cold water-drain-squeeze and keep it aside.
- Over medium heat, place a pan. Add butter and vegetable oil.
- Now add cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. And cook till they turn golden brown in color.
- Then stir in chopped onion, saute till it becomes transulent.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste. And saute for a minute.
- Next add chopped tomato, saute till tomato becomes mushy.
- Add green peas, chopped carrots and squeezed soya chunks.
- Over medium-low heat, add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and saute for a minute. Make sure nothing should get burnt anywhere in this recipe.
- Stir occasionally, add mint, yogurt and combine well.
- Over medium heat, add water and salt. Test the taste of the salt and feel free to add in if required.
- When the water started boiling add basmati rice.
- Cook 7 minutes or until the rice is cooked to 90%.
- Turn to low heat, seat with a lid or aluminium foil.
- Cook it another 10 minutes and wait for another 10 minutes to allow the rice to get infused with the flavors.
- Open the lid and serve hot.
Tips and Variations for Soya Chunk Biryani :
Add chopped carrots, cauliflower, potato for more flavor and texture.