In this recipe of Seppankilangu vadai, consumption of cooking oil is much lower when compared to pan fried recipe, as we are dipping in the cornstarch liquid.It is unbeatable crispy outside and soft tender inside.
Taro root / Seppankilangu Vadai is the crispy side dish. Yam, yes it is the common name to the entire Yam family. Colocasia is the exclusive name for Seppankilangu. The boiled Colocasia is very gooey. So, frying in the oil is the only option to overcome its stickiness.
Whoever avoids cooking this root because of its oil consumption, must try this recipe. Though these vadas get fried in oil, It consumes lesser oil lower when compared to pan frying recipe. Rice flour mixture prevents this gooey root to absorbs more oil.
It is unbeatable crispy outside and soft tender inside.Perfect for snack or can be a great inviting side for rice.
Do not forget to see other interesting and easy to make snacking recipes like masala pori
- 1 lb Yam / Sepang Kilangu
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 3/4 tsp Salt or as required
- 1 cup Cooking oil for Frying
- Pressure cook these small Yam for 4min..or bring this to boil for about 10-12 min(until is completely cooked) in the open pan.
- Remove the skin..and mash them well..(be careful while mashing as they are very hot.
- Then add just salt and chili powder according to your taste.
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Make small balls out and make a flat circle and coat with sesame seeds(this is completely optional).
- Take 3-4 tbsp of rice flour make a thin liquid with water.
- Need to dip fritters/vadas in this rice flour mix on the both the sides.
- Fry them in the hot oil for 3-4 min until both the sides become golden in color...
- Yam Vadai can be tea time snack or can also be a wonderful side dish.
Do not forget to check out another deep fried recipe of Crispy Onion Pakodas, here in PepperBowl.
Tips and Variations:
1. Rice flour can be substituted with corn flour.
2. Add little Rava/sooji to add a texture to vadas.
3. Do not leave the root unattended for a longer time in the cooker as it may become soggy and absorbs more oil while frying.
Serving Suggestion for Seppankilangu Vadai:
1. Serve as side dish for rice.
2. It can also be served as the tea time snack or as the appetizer along with tomato sauce or mint chutney.