Not all the 'Veg Biryani Recipe' are the same in India. They are unique in every home, restaurant and even every state they differ. The biryani takes a new avatar according to the cuisine and the ingredients which are locally available.
For instance, Malabar biryani and Chettinad Biryani uses coconut milk as the main ingredient, while Calcutta Biryani uses Rosewater.
Biryani Origination and History: Though the Original Biryani(meat version) has various theories associated with its origination. To sum them up here,
- It was created in the Mughal kitchen incorporating Persian Pilaf with Indian spices.
- It arrived in India from Persian states from various routes.
- The internal trade between these two regions created this unique recipe.
- The next theory claims that King Timur brought this recipe to India after his invasion.
- But another theory says that Biryani was in India even before the Mughal's kingdom.
- A similar version of Biryani, 'Oon Sour' was mentioned in Tamil Literature in the second century.
What is Veg Biryani? Veg Biryani Recipe / Vegetable Biryani is one-pot rice made with exclusive spices, along with vegetables. Spices and other ingredients vary according to the region it is originated from and according to the exclusive ingredients added to the recipe.
Veg Biryani Recipe Origination and History: 40% of the Indian population are vegetarians. So, the people discovered and customized the Biryani to the vegetarian version. It is prepared by following the same procedure as the original meat version of Biryani. But vegetables will be substituted with the meat.
The Verities of Veg Biryani Recipe:
The varieties vary.
- According to the region, they are made:
Hyderabadi Biryani, Chettinad Biryani, Ambur Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, Calcutta Biryani, Bombay Biryani, Punjabi Biryani.
- According to the ingredients added to it
Mushroom Biryani, Potato Biryani, Methi Biryani, Paneer Biryani, Chole Biryani, Soya Biryani...
- The Processing method
- Dum Biryani: In this method, the pot is sealed and allow to cook on the very slow fire.
- Pakka: In this method, the masala is cooked separately and then they are added to the rice.
- Kaccha: In this method, they add all the raw ingredients.
To classify them according to the region, there are many like:
Along with every type of Biryani, We see some important tips for making each Biryani.
Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe: The special about Hyderabadi Biryani is the method of cooking. They make layers of semi-cooked rice and the vegetable masala. Generally not more than 4 layers. It uses fried onions a lot in making and as well as in garnishing.
And they also do dum, when the rice is 90% done, the pot will be sealed and allowed to cook further with the insulated steam. It mainly uses Basmati rice. The most famous side dish for this dish is Mirchi Ka salan(Green Chili Gravy), Onion ka Salan(Onion Gravy). Find the recipe here.
Chettinad Biryani: Chettinad Veg Biryani Recipe is known for its spiciness. Mostly cooked with coconut milk, with Jeera rice(locally called Seeraga Samba rice ). Tomatoes are added for sourness.
The coconut milk in this recipe, adds rich flavor and texture to Biryani. Another unique ingredient added to Biryani is curry leaves. And it generally served along with onion raitha.
Ambur Biryani: Ambur Biryani served with Dalcha, Brinjal gravy, and raitha. Usually made with Basmati rice/seeraga samba rice. The uniqueness of Ambur Biryani, they use curd for making and also it inherited the methods of both Hyderabadi and Chettinad Biryani.
Mughlai Biryani: These are most popular in northern states like Delhi. Where it is a perfect combination of beautiful flavor, spicier and perfectly cooked rice.
Lucknowi Biryani: It also called Awadhi Biryani, especially known for its less spicy but aromatic. Usually made with Basmati rice. It's a lighter version of Mughlai Biryani. They follow the layering method for making Biryani.
Calcutta Biryani: They are unique with includes potato, rose water and raisins. Served with raita.
Bombay biryani: Bombay Biryani is the sweeter version of Mughlai Biryani.
Malabar Biryani: Made with coconut milk, and less spicy and very flavorful. Specially made with the karma rice(jeeraka sala). Which are smaller than Basmati rice but has a unique flavor.
Ingredients based Veg Biryani Recipe:
The ingredient based biryanis can be cooked following any of the region based types of biryani. Like Mushroom Biryani can be made with Hyderabadi version, Chettinad version or Punjabi version. Everything tastes extremely well, so try experimenting with different cuisines and different vegetables. Which makes it unique and different every time you make and serve.
- Mushroom Biryani...Mushroom is the delegate, Wash multiple times to remove any impurities. Washing in running water would help more. Do not soak in water for a longer time. Marinate with the masalas for about 15-20 minutes helps them to absorb more spices and flavors.
- Potato Biryani...Another versatile ingredient and does not fit into any rules and regulations. It tastes good if it is boiled and fried before adding to the rice. I would advise avoiding adding boiled potatoes as it may make the Biryani bland. However, you may add it if you prefer less spicy versions.
- Paneer Biryani. Marinate paneer for about 15-20 minutes would make it more tasty and flavorful. Then shallow fry it in the oil, until it turns golden brown in color. And add it to the Biryani, at the final stages of processing. The marination need not be fancy ingredients but could be as simple as salt, chili powder, and lemon juice.
- Chole Biryani. Soak the chole/chickpea overnight. Then cook it in the medium flame to make it cook completely still retains its shape and texture. Add salt while cooking, as adding salt in the later stages would not help much. Use a pressure cooker or slow cooker to cook.
- Rajma Biryani. Tips for making Rajma Biryani could be the same as Chole Biryani.
- Peas Biryani. Either frozen peas or fresh peas can be used. Peas tend to cook very easily, so add it to the recipe while adding rice or just before.
Selecting Vegetables for Biryani: Any vegetable would work for Biryani except watery vegetables. Vegetables like, cauliflower, peas, beans, carrots, potato, chickpea, mushroom, paneer. You can add any of these or any combinations of these vegetables.
Selecting the Spices: Cloves, Cinnamon, Bay leaves, Star Anise, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Fennel seeds are the important spices added for Biryani. Each of these ingredients has a unique flavor and taste.
Refer your recipe for using these ingredients. If you are the beginner and do not want to take much risk, then use only Clove and cinnamon, these two ingredients alone can bring beautiful flavors.
Alternatively, you can also use Readymade Biryani masala available in the stores.
Expert tips for Veg Biryani Recipe:
For perfect long-grained Biryani:
- Basmati rice is good for making any kind of Biryani.
- Buying a good quality basmati rice always ensures long-grained Biryani
- Wash 2-3 times the rice.
- Make sure to wash the rice before soaking it. Tip: Washing after soaking the rice will take away the rice's unique flavor.
- Soak the rice for 20-25 minutes.
- Add water in the proportion of a 1:2 ratio. (if 1 Cup of rice, then 2 cups of water)
- Add the rice once the water starts boiling.
- Allow cooking until 80% of the water evaporates, at this stage, the rice should have doubled its size and cooked to 80%
- Simmer the flame, cover the lid and cook it for 10 mins / Seal it 'dum' it for 10 mins.
- Let is cooled down for 15 minutes, then open the lid and Serve very hot.
Selecting the cooking method: You can use the stovetop method, pressure cooker method or 'Dum' method. The process and procedure are the same until 90% of the cooking.
For Stovetop method:
- Once 80% of the rice done(and with 20% of remaining water), close it with the lid. Simmer the flame, allow it to cook for 10 mins.
- Leave it untouched for about another 10 minutes
- And serve hot.
For Pressure Cooker Method:
Assuming that you are using a pressure cooker from the first stage of Biryani.
- Once 80% of the rice done(and with 20% of remaining water), close the pressure cooker's lid.
- Simmer the flame.
- Cook it for 10 mins or until it gives out a long whistle.
- Remove it from the fire.
- Allow it to cool down for around 10 minutes.
- Open pressure cooker lid and Serve hot.
For Easier 'Dum' Method:
- Use the dough to seal the edges.
- Or Use aluminum foil for sealing.
- Use iron skillet/pan in between the pan and the fire for Dum(the period of last 10 minutes in simmer flame)
- Use the oven for dum. Keep it in the preheated oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
Adjusting the taste.
- Add salt when the rice is getting cooked halfway through. This way you can very well judge the amount of salt.
- If you feel it is a little saltier, then add raw potato cubes. It could take away little saltiness.
- Add salt to the raitha, after tasting cooked Biryani. (If the Biryani is little saltier, add lesser salt to the raitha and vice versa)
- Serve lemon slices.
Veg Biryani Recipe, simple and super quick version(best suitable for bachelors and the students):
I have tried to minimize the ingredient list, and I tried to minimize the process as little as possible.
Other rice recipes,
- Indian egg fried rice
- Bagara Rice
- Veg pulav
- Soya Chunks Biryani
- Indian cilantro rice
- Kashmiri pulao
- Indian rice recipes
Veg Biryani Recipes - A complete Guide with Expert Tips
- Soak rice for 20 minutes, rinse, drain, and keep aside
- Over the medium heat, in a pan add hee, vegetable oil followed by cloves, cinnamon stick.
- Once it starts slightly changing its color, add sliced onion and saute until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato, continue to saute it until tomatoes turns mushy.
- Add chopped mixed vegetables, saute for a minute.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and saute for a minute.
- Add water and salt. Bring it to rolling boil.
- Add rinsed and drained rice.
- In the medium flame cook the rice. Once the rice doubles and 85% of the water evaporates like in this picture.
- Seal it with aluminium foil. Simmer the flame completely, and cook it further for 8-10 minutes.
- Wait for 10 minutes, open the foil and serve hot.