mushroom Philly cheesesteak is a successful vegan version of original Philly cheesesteak. A great recipe for the diet conscious people, still not compromises with the taste.
This mushroom Philly cheesesteak recipe does not call for tonnes of cheese and meat, All it needs healthy ingredients. Once you taste this, I'm sure you will be making it more often in the kitchen.
Most of the time, I always choose Philly chicken cheesesteak in the restaurants. I'm kind of addicted to its juicy, cheesy texture and its caramelized flavors. But being in the diet mood for these days, I made my own vegan mushroom Philly cheesesteak.
Consciously removed the cheese from the ingredients, so it is no longer called 'cheesesteak'. But you need to believe me, this recipe nowhere compromises with the taste though it does not include cheese.
Sandwiches are everyone's favorite, my other favorite vegan sandwich which can also be made with minimal ingredients. You may also check other sandwich recipes like Coriander Sandwich and grilled veggie sandwich.
- For this mushroom Philly cheesesteak recipe, slice the veggies into slightly thicker, as it gets caramelized and still remains juicer inside.
- I have grilled mushroom as I feel it is good with the texture and taste.
- I have added paprika for the spiciness, increase or decrease the quantity according to your choice.
- No cheese include in this recipe, add it if you wish.
How to Make
Wash and clean mushroom, green pepper, and onion. Slice onion and green peppers.
Slice mushroom also to the same thickness to make perfect textured mushroom Philly cheesesteak. Hint: Let them be slightly thicker as it gives a great texture to every single bite.
Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of paprika to the mushroom. Grill it, till it leaves out its moisture content. Hint: I grilled it because we love grilled mushrooms than the sauteed version.
In medium heat, keep a pan. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Add onion and green pepper slices. Saute till onion changes caramelized or turn into a golden brownish color.
Add grilled mushroom, nutritional yeast, and ¼ teaspoon of paprika. In high flame, sauté it for a minute. Remove it from the fire. Hint: I have added paprika to make it spicier, but it is optional.
Toast bread. And stuff it with this filling. Cut the sandwich diagonally and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Cut the vegetable into approximately 6mm thickness for the great texture and taste.
- Substitute mushroom with chicken/paneer/Cauliflower in the mushroom Philly cheesesteak.
- Paprika can be replaced with chili powder/Ground pepper.
- Add your favorite spices to make it even more flavorful.
- Philly Mushroom Sandwich is versatile, can be served for breakfast, lunch or even dinner.
- Serve with added cheese. Provolone cheese tastes good for this recipe. Vegan cheese is also a great option.
- Serving along with garden fresh salad and fruits, make it a whole healthy meal.
Other spicy dinner recipes
Mushroom Philly cheesesteak
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 onion medium size
- 1 green pepper / capsicum
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bread
- Wash and clean mushroom, green pepper, and onion.
- Slice mushroom, onion and green pepper to the same thickness.
- Add salt and paprika to the mushroom. Grill it, till it leaves out its moisture content.
- In medium heat, keep a pan. Add vegetable oil.
- Add onion and green pepper slices.
- Saute till onion changes caramalise turns into golden brownish color.
- Add grilled mushroom, nutritional yeast, and paprika.
- In high flame, saute it for a minute till all the ingredients combines well.
- Toast bread and stuff it with this filling. Cut the sandwich diagonally and serve.
I love that you have turned it into a vegetarian cheesesteak! Can't wait to try it.
Always looking for healthier, cheese-free sandwich options and looks like I've found one! Looks delicious!
Lauren Michael Harris
I have been trying to eat less meat and this mushroom "cheesesteak" was the perfect alternative! It turned out delicious!
This is a fantastic way to enjoy the flavors of a Philly without the meat! The mushrooms are filling and totally work.
This mushroom sandwich looks delicious. A great lunch idea with some chips or a salad.