Ven Pongal Recipe is one of the most important South Indian breakfast. The flavor of fried peppercorns, ginger, chili, curry leaves makes a wonderful moment.
Whenever I think of ven Pongal, ‘temple prasadams’ will always come to my mind. Prasadam are the divine food served in temples. As a kid, in the Tamil month of margazhi, along with other fellow children, we go to a temple in the morning. We have intangible competition for making 108 valam/suthus faster. Winning or losing is not all a considerable factor. Getting the hot VenPongal on our hands after completing our suthus is the most divinizing.
Pongal, this recipe will make Pongal which is being served in temples as ‘Prasadham’. It is slightly heavier food, so we, our family moved this breakfast menu to our dinner menu.
Ven Pongal Recipe
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/4 Cup Split moong bean / Moong dal
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 1 Chili
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- Crush ginger, slit green chili and clean curry leaves.
- In the pressure cooker add cooking oil, cumin seeds, pepper, chili followed by asafoetida, curry leaves and crushed ginger.
- Then add washed rice and moong dal, add 2 1/2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cook in high flame till the first whistle and another 4-5 min in simmer flame. Or cook it according to your regular cooking time of your pressure cooker.
- Mash gently with ladle. Now Ven Pongal is ready to serve with chutney, sambar.
Do not forget to check out another recipe for Chutney, Try this Onion Chutney here in PepperBowl.
1.Serve along with sambar, brinjal kothsu, coconut chutney. I find it tastes delicious with mango pickle.
2. Actually it is breakfast recipe, we prefer to have for dinner as well.
Tips and Variations:
1. For the consistency add little more water accordingly to reach desired consistency.