Vendakkai puli Kuzhambu, is a traditional South Indian recipe made with okra and tamarind. A simple everyday dish made quite often in the Southern homes along with rice.
The simple alternative in the recipe makes a much difference the final dish. You can find below the tips, secrets, and step by step procedures of vendakkai puli kuzhambu.
The vegetable Ladies finger/okra is tied up with 'Math'. I do not know why It may a myth or a true fact. I could not really guess. But we have been grown up with the fact that eating more okra leads to getting more marks in the Math subject.
Every time while serving okras, mom says, eat okra more and get more math marks. It was sounding like a slogan to my ears those days. I'm passing on this slogan to my son. I heard the same from other moms around me as well. So no wonder I make this Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu often.
Leaving all the mythical parts of 'Vendakkai' and I'm coming back to the recipe. Grinding onion along with coconut may sound simple and regular. But the taste of the final kulambu is entirely different from the regular Puli / Kara Kuzhambu/Pulusu. Try this and you will also agree with me.
If you are searching for other kulambu recipes, then do check other Kuzhambu recipes like Orange Peel Kuzhambu.
How to make Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu
Wash and clean okra/ladies finger. Chop onion and tomatoes finely and keep them ready.
Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds. Wait until mustard gets splutter. Once the mustard starts making the crackling sound, add chopped onion and fry until onion becomes soft and translucent.
Then add okra pieces. In medium flame, fry the okra pieces, until the leaves outs its slimy, sticky property, and starts becoming stiff and crisp.
Add Chopped tomatoes.
Continue to saute them until they turn slightly mushy. Remove from the fire and keep away for a while.
In a separate pan, add extracted tamarind juice and discard the residue. To the tamarind extract add chili powder, Coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Bring the pan to boil. When the tamarind mixture starts boiling add the kept aside okra mixture.
Meanwhile, Grind same onion and grated coconut together. Make the smooth paste using a mixer/grinder.
And Cook it until it leaves out the raw smell. Add the ground mixture to the boiling sauce/kuzhambu and reduce the flame to the simmer. Cook, it further again for another 5 minutes. Serve Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu hot with rice.
Vendakkai puli Kuzhambu
Ingredients for prepping
- 300 okra / ladiesfinger/ vendaikkai
- 1 onion medium size
- 1 tomato
- 1 small lemon size tamarind
Ingredients For Grinding:
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 2 tbao vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal /skinless black gram
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp onion chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 21/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt or as required
- Wash and clean okra/ladies finger.
- Chop onion and tomatoes finely and keep them ready.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes. And extract the juice.
- Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds. Wait until mustard gets splutter. Once mustard starts making the crackling sound, add chopped onion and fry until onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Then add okra pieces. In medium flame, fry the okra pieces, until the leaves outs its slimy, sticky property, and starts becoming stiff and crisp.
- Add Chopped tomatoes.
- Continue to saute them until they turn slightly mushy. Remove from the fire and keep away for while.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add tamarind extract and 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- When the okra is 90% done, add ground coconut mixture. And cook for 4 minutes in medium heat.
- And serve hot.
1. Serve hot with the steamed rice in the lunch.
2. The leftover can be used as a side dish for dosa/Idli or even rotis.
Tips and Variations for Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu:
1. If you want to reduce the quantity of coconut in this recipe, then add the same amount of onion while grinding.
2. You can any substitute ladies finger with vegetables like eggplant, Drumstick.